Help Please just finished timing belt

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by zjmjgk, Dec 20, 2010.

1. zjmjgk

zjmjgk New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2003
    I just finished timing belt change. Bumped engine 4 times to make sure belts would ride ok. Then started engine right up and everything sounded fine. Shut off engine after 15 seconds now engine wont start and oil light comes on and high pitched beep sounds 4xs.
    login to remove this ad
  2. zjmjgk

zjmjgk New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2003
    Fuel?

Took 3 days to do job had to go to work. Im pretty sure fuel lines may have leaked and had air in them, could this be the issue?
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Did you disconnect the fuel lines? If so, it just takes some cranking. Make sure the battery is fully charged. In one case someone cracked the thermostatic T because the fuel lines were really stuck on there and air kept leaking in. One thing you can do is to crack open a fuel line at the injector slightly and wrap a rag around it. Then crank. If the rag is wet you are getting fuel, then tighten it back up (not too much, note the angle before and after so that the nut is the same).
  4. zjmjgk

zjmjgk New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2003
    problem solved

I cranked on it some more and noticed the tach needle start to rise up a little and kept cranking and it fired up after about 10 seconds. Let it run for 10 min. and everything seems fine. After I shut it off I did notice a hissing sound coming from the vacuum line right off the vacuum pump at end of cam. It has fired right up several times now with no hesistation. Hooked up the vagcom and timing is just slightly retarded. I'll mess with that tomorrow, family is home from work and school so I better get some quality time with them. They get jealous of the TDI :D
    Thanks again for the help!