Help on correct door latch module part# for 2-door 99 golf mk4 1.9TDI with VIN#wvwzzz1jzxw268210

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by George Cavardo, Jan 8, 2018.

1. George Cavardo

George Cavardo New Member

Car:
    Volkswagen Golf 1999 1.9 TDI 2 door hatchback AGR engine code
    Folks, my golf's passenger side door module is now malfunctioning and we actually dismantled the module to open the door. I bought a China made replacement but the system controller seems not to recognize it and therefore not functioning properly. If you unlock the car the system will right away lock it back before you can even pull the door handle to open. We ended up troubleshooting the genuine module and was able to make it work thru modification of one of the spring but I don't think it will last so I need to buy the genuine door module. My problem is the exact part number to use to order the module. Here's what I'm getting for part numbers: 1) TDI Wiki - front right module: 3b1 837 016 bh , 2) Volkswagen.7zap.com - 6x1 837 014H; 6x1 837 014A; 3B1 837 016CF (I'm confused w/c of the 3 part#?) , 3) actual markings from the actual module - PA 6.6 30% GF ... VW logo FRANCE CM2 ... > P O M < 3D (the only markings I can see none similar to a part number).

Ebay sellers have the VW genuine modules but I'm confused which one to get. Of course I won't have problem if I'll get the part from VW dealership but the price is way too high.

Attached Files:

2. George Cavardo

Car:
  3. GolfTDI_007

GolfTDI_007 New Member

Car:
    Golf Mkiv 2003
    Is yours a mk4? This series were common for having faulty door modules. Don't know what you mean by modification of one of the springs? That's a new one on me! These modules are/were known for faulty microswitches, bad electrical joints, causing all manner of usually intermittent faults. You might need to supply your exact car details to get the right one.

4. George Cavardo

Car:
    Thanks for the reply sir. Yes an mk4. The car is an import from Germany so an original LHD vehicle ... 2-door 99 golf mk4 1.9TDI AGR engine with VIN#wvwzzz1jzxw268210. I think the "z" in 1jz stands for north American market. Yes the module was opened and contacts were resoldered and microswitches were ok. In the mechanical portion we made a slight bent on one of the springs inside as it is not pushing enough on one of the plastic parts inside. This is a small spring inside if you open the mechanical half of this electromechanical door module. We noticed that there is already a wear on the groove of the black plastic inside and this is preventing the door to be opened. Sorry no pictures taken but I'll do it once I get the chance to play around with it again but I need a new module for now. I'm just really confused which part number to get ... is it 6x1 837 014H or 3B1 837 016CF?

5. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I've yet to find a new door lock module from any year that doesn't work on a mk4, never needed any particular part number, as long as it's for the appropriate door.

The window motor electronics is the brain, lock is just a slave. What I do find with the cheap ones off ebay is a micro switch packs in after a few months.

From what I've found the only difference was they made them quieter apparently. But I've taken door locks from a 2004 and fitted them in a 1998 very early mk4, no problem.

My guess would be the lock you got was either just bad straight off or there's a wiring or electrical issue somewhere, maybe it's another fault that acts like a faulty door lock module.

6. George Cavardo

Car:
    Thanks Seatman! Yes I think you're right just bad straight and of low quality. I'm seeing genuine listings in ebay I may just get them.

7. GolfTDI_007

GolfTDI_007 New Member

Car:
    Golf Mkiv 2003
    Ah, really? Ok.....
    I've never taken the window motor apart (certainly not the fronts, just the backs), but ppl who have managed to resolve their often intermittent door lock problems, have shown pictures with either faulty microswitches or very bad/cracked solder joints).
    I didn't know there WAS any proper electronics in the window motors?
    I guess a lot might depend on the year and features?