Help needed with alh injectors

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by oil4blood, Feb 16, 2012.

1. oil4blood

oil4blood New Member

Car:
    2000 Vw Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    pp764 nozles 2.5'' downpipe cold air intake egr de
    hey all bit of a newbie here, i recently lost the timing belt on my 00 jetta tdi alh engine code. other then the stock chunk of aluminum the head is brand new but while the head was off being rebuilt i disassembled the injectors and soaked them in carb cleaner to remove the carbon and other gunk. i took pictures of how they came apart so that i could put them back together correctly. long story short got the car all back together and running but once i get it up to about 2k it misses a bit. so i thought after a timing belt job the injection timing was off a bit, took it down to the dealer had them check it and they told me it was spot on so tonight when i got home from work i took the injectors back out and measured all the parts getting each injector as close to each other as possible. put it back together and now its worse so dose anyone have any knowledge on the subject or specs? any help would be greatly appreciated
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Any chance you mixed them up? or did you soak them all seperately? You might need to get them recalibrated.
  3. oil4blood

oil4blood New Member

Car:
    2000 Vw Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    oh i know there all mixed up thats what im tryin to sort out
  4. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Whoops, sounds like you'll need to get them setup by a pro, they're probably dribbling fuel all over the place. They're a bit tricky because they're 2 stage injectors, the initial stage gets things going then the main injection happens and I expect all that is messed up. Personally I'd speak to someone like kermatdi and ask how much they'd charge to sort them out or find a second hand set maybe.
  5. oil4blood

oil4blood New Member

Car:
    2000 Vw Jetta TDI
    Mods:
  6. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Avoid him like the plague, if you search prothe on the tdiclub you'll see why.
    Best to stick with trusted vendors, you could try franko6 on here or the tdiclub, I'm sure he can pop test injectors or if you fancy a bit more oomph try kermatdi or drivbiwire. I think there's probably others but they're who i used and have had no problems.
  7. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Ditto...

There aren't too many places that can reliably set the pressure points on these injectors... Send them off to http://dbwllc.net/default.aspx ("drivbiwire") or Frank Irving... frankstdis at sbcglobal dot net

Yuri
  8. oil4blood

oil4blood New Member

Car:
    2000 Vw Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    from all i read yes he is a bit sketchy but.... i havent seen anything about his injectors and hes got a 2 year warranty behind them so im thinking about getting them and seeing how it goes because im a little strapped for cash at the moment so idk what to do!!
  9. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    "Sketchy" ... I would use other adjectives...

If you get an injector that doesn't atomize the fuel properly, you could easily burn a hole in your piston... You don't want to go there... (although if you've fooled around with your injectors you're already in danger of having something go very wrong...) Perhaps a local diesel shop could get your injectors working after a fashion... it's doubtful they'll get it right, but they may work...

Good luck... you know what we all recommend, but it's your car...

Yuri

PS: with regard to the "warranty" from Prothe... please find me the screen name of anyone who's ever gotten warranty coverage from him...
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
  10. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    It wont cost much much just to get them recalibrated and cleaned, I'd seriously check that out first.
    What ever you do, DON'T buy those nozzles from him, you will come to regret it. He will give you a warranty but he'll then find some way to get out of it when it al goes wrong. There are just sooooo many threads on his stuff being utter crap and him being totally immoral.
  11. oil4blood

oil4blood New Member

Car:
    2000 Vw Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    you guys all make great points and after much consideration ive decided against buying his C.R.A.P. the only thing that made me consider his C.R.A.P was how cheaply i could solve this problem i got myself into. i got in touch with Schide diesel here in the midwest and he can rebuild them for me for 200 so im gonna go the safe route and have a trusted professional fix me up right the first time. i do wanna say that being a newbie you all have been extremely helpful and kind to me so once again thank you all your wonderful people
  12. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    I'd try dbw

http://dbwllc.net/default.aspx

it's drivbiwire from the tdi club, I think he might be cheaper than that, it sounds a little on the expensive side just to redo them.

Glad you changed your mind about those nozzles. I'm always on a super tight budget but I've learnt from the past that it's just not worth skimping for a quick fix. Also you read these threads of these poor people and the total grief they're having because they thought the prices sounded so good and the guy seemed so genuine.
  13. oil4blood

oil4blood New Member

Car:
    2000 Vw Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    ive emailed both frank06 and drivbiwire so depending on what they charge one of the two will probaly do the job for me i hope
  14. estergard

estergard New Member

Car:
    1999 New Beetle TDI
    I live close to a Bosh Authorized Diesel Injection Shop. They only charge $25 per injector, to "pop test" and calibrate. Consider knowing they are assembled professionaly, calibrated, and clean...it seems an excellent price to pay for peace of mind.