Help Needed Passat CL 1.9 TDI Wont Start

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by chapman34, Oct 2, 2010.

1. chapman34

chapman34 New Member

Car:
    PASSAT CL TDI
    Hello , all im new here and heres my problem

right , just got given a 1996 1.9 passat CL , only thing its not liking starting , some times its starts some times it dont lol. but at the moment its just not starting for me (ignition barrel related i think and even possibly immobilizer), also the coil light takes a few minuits to go off ? i cant even get the engine to crank over:S. anyone got any ideas on hot wiring it and bypassing the immobilizer ? as think these could be the main problem? so i can atleast get it to my workshop to work on it. i know its not battery related as it has a new battery , and the starter motor is good also
    any help will be muchly appreciated
    Thanks
    James
    login to remove this ad
  2. Bobbyk

Bobbyk New Member

Unless the immobilizer light is on it's not the immobilizer. The way I understand it, the immobilizer still lets the engine start. This sounds more like a starter or ignition switch problem. If the glow plugs don't shut off for a while it's normally the coolant temperature sensor but a few minutes? You win for longest glow plugs. Why won't the workshop touch it? I bet they could make good money fixing all the problems!
  3. chapman34

chapman34 New Member

Car:
    PASSAT CL TDI
    the cars stuck at my girlfriends at the moment and need to get the car to my workshop to work on it myself , as the cars stuck outside at the moment. but think ive worked out what it can be , by the looks of it the ignition switch is one problem also looks like the 109 relay might also be causing a problem aswell, only thing is ive gota wait it out over the weekend till the parts shop open monday