Help: Golf 1,9 Tdi Syncro - Starting problems

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by olsen73, Jul 16, 2012.

1. olsen73

olsen73 New Member

Car:
    Golf 1,9 tdi Syncro 2000 mod
    Hi guys,
    I have a 2000 mod Golf 1,9 Tdi Syncro which has been running perfectly during the last few years. But lately it has got some issues... When you turn on the ignition and your going to start it it will normaly start perfectly but now and then this is not the case. Like again today, turning on the ignition and going to crank the engine you can try over and over and you will crank the engine on the started but its totaly dead and will not fire.... What you do hear when you put on the ignition is an electrical motor/pump sound that is coming from the rear of the car that start to run and will continue to run. As fare as I know this is a pumpe that is placed in the tank due to the shape of the syncro tank and is there to even out the fuel level in tank. Anyway,, after maybe 20-30 times with turning ignition on and off you might hear that the electrical motor/pump will stop like it has build up a pressure and then if you try to start the engine will run like ever before. So question is should this electrical motor/pump that I hear which I think is the one in the tank actually have something to do with the car not starting, this is not a supply pump for the engine since this is a 90 Hp engine and not a PD engine. Fuel filter has been replaced to see if that would sort the problem but no luck there, and there is fuel in the lines, and the fuel tank is ful of diesel too.
    And one big thing is that this comes and goes, so its tricky to find were the main problem is....... anybody have an idea of what to do here..... :annoyed. Thank you in advance.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Possibly but if the fuel tank is full it should not make any difference. I had an Audi A4 quattro and it was the same, it had a fuel pump to pump fuel to the other side. But if the fuel tank is full there's no need for the pump.

When was timing belt last replaced? Check the fuel injection timing, if timing is not right it will have a hard time starting. Also, maybe the fuel sender in the fuel tank has an internal leak or clog? Any error codes? This is where I would start.
  3. olsen73

olsen73 New Member

Car:
    Golf 1,9 tdi Syncro 2000 mod
    Time belt was last changed 3 months ago and has been running fine until now. Thing is that it will run smooth as ever when you get it started so the problem is just that something is causing it randomly to not start... and thats when its get tricky to find the problem... did do a read out on the climatronic earlier today to see if there was any error code - but nothing came up. So still stuck with the random gost that will come and go.... turn the key and you might or might not be lucky to get it to start. So thats tricky when you suddenly get stuck some odd place abd can't get it to start again :annoyed
    So very strange..... but seams like every time the "tank pump" stop running when you turn the ignition on,, the car will start...