Help! CEL codes p0045 and p0047 boost pressure control valve/solenoid

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by franchize, Aug 24, 2015.

1. franchize

franchize New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    New member here hoping someone can help me out! I did a search but didn't find much
    I was driving my 2011 golf tdi (manual trans if that matters) to work this morning when my I got a flashing glowplug light and 'check engine now' and check engine light. restarting the car cleared the glowplug light for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes and I made it to work by restarting periodically. Leaving work the flashing glowplug and CEL light were on and restarting no longer helped. I drove home in what I assume is 'limp home mode' with no boost or very little boost. Plugging in my VAGCOM when I got home gave me the following:

Mode 03: Emission related fault codes
    Address 7E8: 2 Faults Found:
    P0045 - Boost Pressure Control Valve/Solenoid (Bank 1): Open Circuit
    P0047 - Boost Pressure Control Valve/Solenoid (Bank 1): Short to GND

So it seems like the boost pressure valve/solenoid or the wiring to is the culprit. Is there an easy way for me to check that it's getting correct voltage /resistance to it with a multi-meter? Is this something I could fix/replace on my own? Whats the best place to get a replacement part?
    Really hoping i can get this fixed before a trip this weekend

login to remove this ad
  2. franchize

franchize New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    20150824_212031.jpg ok may have found the problem - a wire leading into the boost control valve has broken and popped out of the plug that attaches the wiring to the valve, although its possible I just broke this messing around with it. Trying to attach pictures.
    Any ideas as to how to fix this? Can i put a drop of hot solder on and try to stick it back together?
    20150824_212217.jpg

3. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Pin extraction, then recrimp new pin and reinsert...

4. Mike321

Mike321 New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2011 TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    I signed up to this site to confirm P0045 and P0047 codes were caused by the same problem. Simply looking at the connector yielded no visible defect. I cleared the codes and P0045 would show up immediately before starting the vehicle, so I knew it had to be electrical.

I unplugged the connector to look for corrosion, the wires looked great. It was only when I unplugged the connector that I noticed the broken wire.

To the OP, thanks for posting, it helped identify my issue.

The red/gray stripe wire was clearly broken. I hope this helps others.

IMG_0391.JPG

Last edited: May 8, 2017