HELP-Broke Fins on Fan Clutch

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by VeeDubTDI, Aug 18, 2012.

1. VeeDubTDI

VeeDubTDI New Member

Car:
    2005 VW Passat TDI
    I'm new and currently working on my car so I don't have to time to do a thorough search. MY question is if I broke 2 fins on the fan clutch while trying to get the fan off, will that cause out of balance issues when I put every thing back together. I discovered that I can get the bottom bolt out through the hole made by the broken fins, but really need to know if I now have to replace the fan clutch or will it be good as is. Thanks for any help.
    login to remove this ad
  2. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9
    I didn't know that you have fan clutch, can you send picture.

If you do which I don't think you do, let it spin and see if you see any unusual vibrations, if not then I would let it go.
  3. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Are you talking about the fan blades? if so then yes, you'll need to replace it or more things will break with the vibration.
  4. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9
    LOL with 2 blades broken out of 3 not much left to brake even with the vibration. Anyway what would that thing be called? :pukerofl Maybe weedwacker fan.

if you research this forum you will find post where I replaced complete radiator fan asembly (2 brand new fans and fan shroud) for 118$ and free delivery. I even posted a link to the site.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yes it'll be out of balance but at this point I'd put it on and fix once the bearing goes bad. Replace now or replace later. For all you know it could last another 5 years.
  6. VeeDubTDI

VeeDubTDI New Member

Car:
    2005 VW Passat TDI
    I'm not talking about the plastic fan, I am referring to the cast aluminum hub that the fan bolts to, it has the fan pulley behind it.
  7. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9