HELP!!! 2006 Jetta TDI

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by jettatdimk5, Jun 3, 2012.

1. jettatdimk5

jettatdimk5 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI
    My 2006 Jetta TDI used to be driving fine and then it would stutter and drive fine again. This normally happened around 25 or 45 mph and the car would run fine before and after. Recently, the car would run fine and then stop by itself. It would turn off and you would not be able to start it again. After sitting for a while it will start. It has done this a few times. What can be causing these issues? Are they related?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Probably but hard to say. Is it also related to engine RPM? Manual or DSG transmission, how many miles? Recent maintenance? Is the car up to maintenance schedules like fuel filter? We can try to help but you have to be very detailed and maybe do some testing on your end.

Stop by itself while driving or idling at a stop? how is the mpg?
  3. jettatdimk5

jettatdimk5 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI
    Sorry for the lack of information. I am not sure if it is related to RPMs or not. It is manual. It has 165,000 miles on it with 15,000 miles on the fuel filter. I replaced the timing belt and cam at 100,000 miles. I just replaced the fuel filter today and the old one did not look bad - I do not know if you can tell if a fuel filter is bad by looking at it... I have not driven the car since the new fuel filter because I am afraid of getting stuck. It stops by itself while driving. We have not checked the mpg recently but last time I did check it was a little bit lower - 39-41.
  4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It's possible that it's related to a main power relay. Does the car just shut off like you turned the key off?
  5. jettatdimk5

jettatdimk5 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI
    Yes it does. Does the relay on the '06s? I thought that was only on the earlier models?
  6. jettatdimk5

jettatdimk5 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI
    Is it possible that the lift pump in the fuel tank is making a weird noise? It sounds like it is but is that possible?
  7. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    relay 109 is only on older but similar function on newer cars. Some else came across this, try the J329 power supply relay, marked 460 on the main relay panel. See the HID headlight swap article for pics, it's a long shot but you say that the car is almost shutting itself off so possible cause is main power
  8. jettatdimk5

jettatdimk5 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI
    Thank you for all of the responses. I am having an extension put in and my car is on the back burner, but when I get a chance I am going to look into these. I will post the outcome when I work on the car.
  9. D-Cell_Mekanick

D-Cell_Mekanick Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI
    What ls an extension? Hair extensions maybe?
  10. jettatdimk5

jettatdimk5 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI
    Haha. Nahh. Unfortunately, I don't have much hair to add on to. I am extending the back of my house and adding 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a laundry room.
  11. jettatdimk5

jettatdimk5 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI
    Thank you, chittychittybangbang, for your help. I changed the fuel filter Thursday night and it has driven fine since then.
  12. D-Cell_Mekanick

D-Cell_Mekanick Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI
    The good thing is you were able to troubleshoot the problem yourself. Like you said in your second post I this thread you had changed the fuel filter but were worried you'd get stock while driving it. Good job!:nana2:
  13. jettatdimk5

jettatdimk5 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI
    It was actually the fuel pump that we fixed but yes I was glad too. I had a feeling it was the fuel pump so I just went ahead and changed it. If that was not it, I would have lost time, money, and still wouldn't have my car.
  14. D-Cell_Mekanick

D-Cell_Mekanick Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI
    Big difference between fuel filter and fuel pump. I'm assuming it was the lift pump (the one in the fuel tank) you changed? Either way you got it going again and that's all that matters.
  15. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    A lift pump is mechanical driven of the engine because it lifts the fuel from the tank to injection pump/carburettor, the fuel pump in the tank is electrically driven. ;)
  16. D-Cell_Mekanick

D-Cell_Mekanick Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI
    Not on this side of the pond. Lift pump is electric fuel pump in the tank, tandem pump is the fuel/vacuum pump located of the rear of the head driven mechanically by the camshaft.

Edit: here's a reference for you:http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/LiftPump.htm