VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Hello from small town Iowa

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  j2005 
#1 ·
I purchased a used 2012 Passat TDI SE with almost 98,000 miles on it 3 weeks ago. I'm in love with this car. Great power and comfort - amazing to find in one vehicle. And fun to drive as a bonus!

Yes, I've got an engine code already :) It's likely my fault as I had paid attention to using ULSD fuel, but missed not realizing that anything higher than 5% Bio was not good. My favorite station (until now) is a 5-20% Bio station. Guess I can kiss them goodbye :) It took a good 2 1/2 tanks of straight ULSD before I was able to completely clear the P2478 code, but now I'm left with P246e code with a flashing glow plug light and solid engine light. I'm able to clear the engine light but not the flashing glow plug. Since I haven't been able to find anything rock solid on the fix for this, I've sadly got an appointment with the dealer on 09/23. I'm guessing that the EGT #4 sensor needs to either be replaced or cleaned, but haven't owned a diesel long enough to make sound guesses.

The Passast is my 2nd VW, but 1st VW diesel and 1st turbo. My 1st car (and dang, I wish I still had this) was a 1970 VW Thing. Sure loved that little vehicle. It was great fun but it doesn't tolerate meeting side to front with an Oldsmobile. That's the night I learned to fly, but that's another story.

I'm grateful to be here and look forward to learning from all of you. I'm handy and can do an oil change. I plan to tackle the AdBlue top offs and the DSG fluid replacement, but anything more will require a guide (and tools). Thanks for the Welcome!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

EOBD II Error Code: P246E

Fault Location:
Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4, Bank 1 - Circuit Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Wiring/Connector(s).
Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4, Bank 1.
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Replace Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4, Bank 1.

EOBD II Error Code: P2478

Fault Location:
Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 1, Bank 1 - Out Of Range

Possible Cause:
Wiring/Connector(s).
Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 1, Bank 1.
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Replace Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 1, Bank 1.

As taken from my Free EOBD II Error Codes software

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.