Hello from Oregon w/ an interesting conundrum...

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Th0r, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Th0r

Th0r New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Hello from Oregon! Recently bought a 2006 BRM Jetta with 5 speed and 191k on the clock. So far it's a stock car and been great for the two weeks of driving. Has a bad door latch and driver window switch. Sadly it's at the dealer right now due to a very odd issue. Went out to the car after stopping off at my storage unit and jumped back in and.... nothing. Not lights, no clicks nothing but door locks. Long story short if I popped the trunk I got got some power to drive it out of the locked gate. If it closed, no power. Disconnected the popper and it was fine for a few days.

Then at the alignment shop same thing happened. No power, no lights only door locks. Did some searching across multiple forums and tried the 460 relays... No effect. Tried jumping the battery, no effect. So w/o VCDS we sent it to the local VW dealer to be looked at. First issue was 8v on the CAN data lines.... said bad gateway. Replaced and still nothing. Found melted pins at Comfort Control Module. Replaced and now have power but no crank/start. The dealer told me they gone through three of their top techs so far to get where I am now. They said they're contacting VW directly for guidance... ugh but I'm not giving up on and I can't wait to get back into it.

I know it's a long intro but figured I'd start out with a small story to have a window into my experience so far. If anyone knows something VW doesn't, I'm open to suggestions. If VW can't get it to run, I'm pulling it out of the shop and looking into it myself.

Thanks for any hint or ideas in advance!

Th0r

login to remove this ad
  2. Th0r

Th0r New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    So update from the dealer thus far. The call to "VW" supposedly was for them to bypass the "body control module" and jump a few wires and the car started! I'm assuming it's also running by their statement. So obviously it's either the module is bad or the harness is shorted somewhere...

So question to all this; is the "body control module" the module right above the pedals? If so isn't that also the "comfort control module" which I've had replaced already? I keep getting all these modules mixed up with one another. I'm starting to get a felling of the old "run around and throw parts at it" situation...

Again any info is appreciated.

3. Hardup

Hardup New Member

Car:
    VW Golf 2008 TDI Auto
    Sorry to hear your problems, Thor.
    Nothing like trouble with a "New" car eh ?!

The BCM generally controls the car security functions, like door locks, remote entry, immobiliser assistance etc. It is in direct connection with the ECU.
    This is just general info though and not specific.
    Your saying it worked after popping the trunk made me remember about indicator flasher units not working when changing globes to low resistance led lights. Not enough resistance to trigger the flasher.
    You may have had the reverse, popping the trunk would turn a light on yeah? A light that is probably basically wired battery direct. This is creating a minor current draw.
    The minor current draw may have been enough to let other circuits work.?
    It's sounding possibly like a earthing issue.
    Did you check the battery clamps for corrosion? ( Take them off, the negative is often the culprit)
    Also remember, dissimilar metals will oxidise and create high resistance connections. They can get to a point where they won't let smaller currents through.
    My 2 cents!
    Good luck, hope you find the issue soon.

4. Th0r

Th0r New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thank you for the answer Hardup. It's cleared up some of the confusion. I went to the dealer yesterday after work and talked with the service manager. So the final answer to my problems has been found. There were quite a few wires melted in one of the harness connectors to the BCM/Comfort control module. The technician is fairly certain that a poorly installed aftermarket radio was installed. My guess is the place I got the car from (It has no radio currently). He suspects that it wasn't working properly (not turning off my guess). They probed around somewhere and knowingly or unknowingly shorted wires out. Which in turn caused a cascading module failure and put me in this boat of issues.

As of now they're patching the melted harness with VW repair wire section and a new connector. I should have the car by end of Friday which will be nice. I'm having them look into an approved replacement radio so I can have some tunes and hopefully I won't become susceptible to the random battery drain after they do that hahaha. It would par for the course at this point.