Hello from MB, Canada

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by diesen, Jan 20, 2014.

1. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    I'm running a 2006 Jetta TDI 5spd with an EGR delete and dynamic idle tune.

Its been giving me some trouble lately. It used to have a seemingly infamous surge (spike) in power at approx. 1,800 rpm with good power all the way up to red line... fun to drive. Now it doesn't surge anymore however the power is gone too. I can get it up to highway speed but that about it. Engine light is on and constantly going into what seems to be limp mode (no power, no speed control).

I just took it into the local dealer to run some scans. Came back with three malfunctions detected: P0234, P0113, P0238 and some measured values in display group 4 and 43 which I have no clue what they mean.

I'm told I need a new turbo! Report shows engine oil was low, probably because the turbo is syphoning from the crank case. The turbo isn't operating properly... boost starting at 45% going to 100%

Is there anything else to look into before diving into a turbo replacement? $$$$

Another issue is that it starts and runs poorly when its cold. Hard starts and rough idle with lots of smoke (grey/white). Does this tie in with the other problem or is it something all on its own?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

VAG Error Code: 16618

EOBD II Error Code: P0234

Fault Location:
    Turbocharger (TC)/Supercharger (SC) Boost Pressure - Regulation Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Boost Pressure too high.
    Reduced Power Output.

Hoses incorrectly connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking.
    Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) faulty.
    Boost Pressure Sensor (G13) faulty.
    Turbocharger (TC) stuck/faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Charge Pressure Control System.
    Perform Output Test (to check the Turbocharger (TC)).
    Perform Basic Setting (to check the Charge Pressure Control).
    Perform Pressure Test to locate Leaks.
    Check/Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75).
    Check/Replace Boost Pressure Sensor (G13).
    Check/Replace Turbocharger (TC).

Description:
    The boost pressure sensor responds to pressure changes in the intake manifold. This pressure is created by the turbocharger and changes with accelerator pedal position (APP) and engine speed. The Engine Control Module (ECM) uses this information to assist in diagnosis of the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor and to provide engine overboost protection. The boost pressure sensor has a 5-volt reference circuit, a low reference circuit, and a signal circuit. The Engine Control Module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the boost pressure sensor on the 5-volt reference 2 circuit, and provides a ground on a low reference circuit. The boost pressure sensor provides a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM) on a signal circuit relative to the pressure changes. The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the boost pressure sensor signal for voltage outside of the normal range. The Engine Control Module (ECM) calculates a predicted value for the boost pressure sensor. The Engine Control Module (ECM) then compares the predicted value to the actual signal.

VAG Error Code: 16497

EOBD II Error Code: P0113

Fault Location:
    Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor (G42) - Signal too High

Possible Cause:

Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Intake Air Temperature Sensor (G42) faulty.
    Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor (G42).

Possible Solutions:
    Check Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Intake Air Temperature Sensor (G42).
    Check/Replace Intake Air Temperature Sensor (G42).

When is the code detected?:
    An excessively high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
    The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is built into mass air flow sensor or in some vehicles mounted to the air filter duct housing. The sensor detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The temperature sensing unit uses a thermistor which is sensitive to the change in temperature. Electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases in response to the temperature rise. The Intake Air Temperature signal is used as an input for various systems in the vehicle.

VAG Error Code: 16622

EOBD II Error Code: P0238

Fault Location:
    Turbocharger (TC) Charge Air Pressure Sensor (G31) - Signal too High

Possible Cause:

Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Charge Air Pressure Sensor (G31) faulty.
    Charge Air Pressure Sensor (G31) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Charge Air Pressure Sensor (G31).
    Check Charge Air Pressure Sensor (G31).

As taken from my Free EOBD II Error Codes software

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    Thanks Keithuk, this is great info. There's mention of checking a number of different sensors and fuses. G13, G42, G31. Where might these be located on my car? How does one check them? Is there a particular fuse to look for?

4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 1 (G42)
    Charge Air Pressure Sensor (G31) aka Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor (G71).

There are a few error codes for both of these sensors.

I don't have any for (G13) though.

The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor is in the intake

SEAT Altea 1.9 TDI P0113 engine error

5. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    (G13) as referred to above as a boost pressure sensor must be the MAP sensor as well? That's the only sensor I can find that related to boost pressure.

6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Sorry I can't read my own writing Boost Pressure Sensor (G13) faulty. I search my database Fault Location: and it wasn't listed, its in Possible Cause:

If you google it Boost Pressure Sensor (G13), VNT lever was to low causing overboost code.

7. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    Thanks for all the info Keith. Replaced the turbo with one that isn't stuck and better bearings. We're back in the road. Still has all the problems as stated in the top of the post. At least it works and starts most if the time.

8. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    Turns out my BRM car has a BEW engine with ALH glow plugs in it. Thats a whole lot of trouble. Surprised it works as good as it does which isn't that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    The signal too high remedy to check fuse(s) as been changed. Do you have a fuse & relay diagram for your 2006 Jetta? There is no fuse for Boost Pressure Sensor (G13), Intake Air Temperature Sender (G42), Manifold Pressure/Boost Sensor (G31).

Fuse & Relay PDF Files