1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Hello can’t even merge onto the highway without going into limp mode

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Gonzo_TDI, May 24, 2012.

1. Gonzo_TDI

Gonzo_TDI New Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta TDI
    Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 jetta w/ 280K miles on it. So I've been dealing with limp mode for a while. About 100K miles ago I replaced all vacuum lines (they were pretty beat), N75, MAF, cleaned out the air canister and snow screen, and conditions improved but didn't go away. I was going into limp mode only once a month vs every other day, so I just kinda lived with it. But things started getting bad again (back to experiencing limp mode every other day or so). So I did a boost leak test and found air gushing through the VNT actuator at 5 psi so I replaced it. But now I can’t even merge onto the highway without going into limp mode. I adjusted the new actuator by counting the threads on the rod and matching it up to the old one. I’m thinking maybe I got the adjustment wrong?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The spring pressure could be a little different. Check out the VNT adjustment article in FAQ, you have to use a vac pump to set base and full travel on rod. But it should be close. When the rod was off, you should also move the VNT lever by hand and check if it's free, more inst. in the article.
  3. Gonzo_TDI

Gonzo_TDI New Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta TDI
    Thanks chittychitty, the TSB in that FAQ article was key. Took the car for a test drive and so far so good – I guess the actuator just needed to be adjusted. I haven't been able to accelerate like that in years.

One thing that was surprising was that I really couldn’t get any movement on the old rod using a vacuum pump - I'm surprised the turbo even worked at all with the old actuator. Anyway, Thanks!
  4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    i had a same issue on a 02... got worse with new actuater even adjusted properly..

so i finally rigged up a boost gauge and a vacume gauge to watch the vnt actuator vs boost spikes...

via all that info i deemed the turbo had a issue...

well finally found a rebuild place, 75miles from home... good people.. the vnt lever inside was worn, vains stuck... total cost 350... that included rebuilt vnt section.. no more limp issues..