Hello and vexing electrical problem

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by swesound, Jul 4, 2012.

1. swesound

swesound New Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta
    Hello list,
    I am a new member and my name is Scott. I have a 2004 Jetta TDI which I purchased used in Canada 2 years ago. So far it has been one of the best vehicles I have every owned. I average around 50mpg and I drive roughly 600 miles a week. My next maintenance project is the timing belt and water pump replacement. I do have an interesting electrical issue which I could use some help on. It seems to involve the side-view mirror selector/adjuster switch. When it is in the center position the radio speakers do not work. When it is in either left or right positions, then speakers work. The radio stays on throughout, but sound stops in the center position. Anyone had this problem? My first thought is a defective switch, but I wonder why this switch has anything to do with the sound system.
    Great site!
    Thanks,
    Scott
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    If you're using the standard sound system they're linked by the k-line which is for the diagnostics, is your centre position for the heated mirrors? I know some are on when the button is in the middle or something and some work off the heated rear screen switch.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    LOL.....it's a VW.

The center positions should have a symbol on it for heated mirror....no idea why it would do that. I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me but you can find some online and start tracing it. radio should not do that.
  4. swesound

swesound New Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta
    Yes, the center is for the heated mirrors. I'll study the wiring diagrams. Just wondering if anyone had run into this particular problem.
  5. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Not that I've ever seen on any of the many forums I frequent, I feel you might be a pioneer in this one lol