Hello! (2006 broken eng mounts in NorCal)

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by thejeepdude, Feb 18, 2011.

1. thejeepdude

thejeepdude New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Hi All, I found this forum during my search for information regarding engine mount and timing belt replacement for my 2006 Jetta TDI. It's got about 60k, and recently went ker-chunk, leaving my wife stranded on the way home from work. The engine block mounting hole is broken off, along with the alternator mounting bracket. I have ordered the Van Gogh bracket from Dieselgeek and the timing belt kit, even though it's early, might as well do that too. He also sold me the old-style engine mount bracket ("g-mount") which he says doesn't use the alternator mounting bracket as a bolt location, although I can't really verify that until I did into it... hopefully it works out.

I would really rather pay someone to do the fix, but am having a hard time finding a mechanic I trust around here, that has experience with this issue, so I am contemplating doing it myself. I really appreciate the timing belt replacement tutorial on this site, as it would seem to apply to my engine mount situation as well. Of course, I had to post to get access to the second half, so HI everybody!

I would really appreciate any tips from those who have gone through this, and even better would REALLY appreciate it if someone in the NorCal area wants to help me fix it... for beer and/or $$! I also just realized I need the tools, so will have to order and wait for those unless I can find someone locally who has them. I'm in Roseville but I do have a car trailer so could bring it your way if needed!

Thanks!
    Josh
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I believe that the old engine mount will work because the mounting hole is still there. However, it's more of a pain to get on-off. If you do this and have the time, please take any pictures of the damage and the replacement and it will help others. If they are good step by step pics, it will also qualify for the writeup contest! Current prize is $50 e-gift certificate to kermatdi.
  3. thejeepdude

thejeepdude New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I would love to create a writeup for this, but due to time constraints I have decided rather than buying/renting the tools and breaking knuckles trying to fix this myself, I would have a pro take care of it. I'm taking the Van Gogh bracket and Dieselgeek's timing belt kit to Goodguys Biodiesel in Santa Cruz tomorrow. It's a 3 hour drive but I'd rather go somewhere with a reputation than risk it with the dealership. I'll post an update in a couple days sharing how it went in case anyone else in the area would like to know.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2011
  4. thejeepdude

thejeepdude New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    All fixed!

Update for anyone interested:

It's been a few days since the repair and everything is working flawlessly. I went to Santa Cruz with the expectation of this taking 1 day but it was stretched to 2 days because we had to wait for an EGR cooler to get overnighted. Goodguys did a great job working with my schedule and completing the job so I could get back home ASAP. It was definitely worth the 4 hour drive to make sure everything was fixed competently. I plan to make this trip whenever I need major service done on the TDI.

Lessons learned:

The EGR cooler that was on the car would NOT work with the Van Gogh bracket. VW has a newer part # that is required if you happen to have a car with the old style. The old part # that doesn't work is 03G 131 512AA. The new part # is 03G 131 512AD. Replacing the EGR cooler added about 2 hours labor.

Ever since purchasing this car at ~20k miles reverse was VERY rough. Several trips to the dealer while under warranty resulted in "that's normal for these cars, just drive it". Since having the mounts replaced, reverse is butter smooth (for a TDI). This leads me to believe that at least one mount/bolt was broken when we bought the car and it went 40k miles in that condition before it finally gave out completely. This whole thing could have been fixed under warranty if the dealership would have been competent.

The accessory bracket (alternator/PS pump mount) broke when the engine mounts gave out. Rather than replace this $350 part, we used the older style engine mount (called the "g" mount, because the part # end with "g" - can't find the full # now will edit this later if/when I find it) which bolts into the block in another location, a much better design. The broken accessory bracket continues to hold the alt/PS just fine.

I'd also like to shout out to Dieselgeek and say THANK YOU for providing the parts for this repair, and a very complete timing belt kit that contained everything needed except fluid. Thanks also for taking time to share your knowledge when I called in a state of panic, helping me understand the EGR cooler and mount issues, and overall providing outstanding support beyond expectations!
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks for the notes! I will find someplace to put this info to help others.
  6. Fluid

Fluid New Member

Interesting fix. You can see the spots for the old mount there so it's nice to know they can still be used.