heidelberger - new member intro

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by heidelberger, Jul 30, 2012.

1. heidelberger

heidelberger New Member

Car:
    '99 TDI New Beetle
    Mods:
    Panzer Plate, rear seats delete, ventectomy, nothi
    Hello everyone! I'm Adam, my screen name is heidelberger, and the car my wife and I enjoy is a '99 VW New Beetle TDI.

We live in NOVA (Alexandria, VA) and are both teachers. I have long had a passion for diesel-powered anything, and hope to one day get into my own fuel self-sufficiency program, but that's another story!

I am here because this forum is a great resource for my TDI maintenance and "evolution" - I have always been a gearhead and DIY-er.

As it stands, I bought this NB via a fellow VW nut who probably frequents this board, definitely is on the other popular VW forums (Fred's, Vortex, etc) so there you have it!

Previous owner maintained our Beetle very well, and at 148k miles is rocking great. I replaced a sagging headliner and bad a/c compressor in the parking lot a month after purchase, and also installed a panzer plate at the time.

Our next plans are lifting the bug - I'd like about a 2" lift - so that's what I've been reading about lately!

OK, that's all - glad to be here!

Adam aka heidelberger
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    welcometomyturbodies Why lifting the bug? 2" is a lot.
  3. heidelberger

heidelberger New Member

Car:
    '99 TDI New Beetle
    Mods:
    Panzer Plate, rear seats delete, ventectomy, nothi
    new member, new beetle ideas

Hey, thanks for reading my intro and asking why I am thinking about lifting my bug.

First off, I'd like to get this old '99 bug to become more like an all-purpose pickup truck than a low-riding slalom runner. Love the engine, always wished that VW America could have planted it in a Golf-bodied neo-Rabbit pickup - but that's just me!

With this in mind, and noting the successful rally and off-road bug builds from the likes of Frankenbuilt and others; a 2" lift combined with a good LSD will get me where I want to go on the country roads and mountain trails I like to explore.

http://frankenbuilt.com/cars.html

OK, so back to the long grocery list of "to-do's" I gotta accomplish today!

Adam