Head gasket seepage?

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by honorben, Mar 15, 2017.

1. honorben

honorben New Member

Car:
    05 passat tdi wagon
    So I pulled the valve cover the other day to inspect the cam and replace the gasket. The cam is bad wore lobes on #1 and 3. Ordered a new cam set. Question is I seem to have head gasket seepage. Not a leak but defiantly seeping on driver side of head. How normal is this? I know on Subaru's this is a warning that your gaskets are going to need to be replaced in the near future. Is this common or is everybody else's dry?
    05 Passat TDI
    165k with BSD.

2. honorben

honorben New Member

Car:
    05 passat tdi wagon
    Just wondering if anyone else has head gasket seepage on the b5.5. Mine has seepage, not leaking just wet around the gasket. I know on Subaru's this is a telltale sign your going to be doing the head gaskets soon. Hope not so on these.
    05 Passat TDI
    165k with BSD

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
  3. honorben

honorben New Member

Car:
    05 passat tdi wagon
  4. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I had a little seepage at the back of my ALH, the level never really dropped though so I didn't bother to replace the gasket. Rust caught up with the rest of the car anyway.

I'd just keep an eye on it, if you feel it's getting worse then deal with it.

Could be that oil from the valve cover has collected too.

5. honorben

honorben New Member

Car:
    05 passat tdi wagon
    Well the reason I ask is I was planning on doing the camshaft, I ordered it a few days ago. Anyway I got thinking and I have a miss at idle only after running it then a cool down of 20 minutes or so. If you fire it right back up or let it cool completely it runs fine. It seems to be getting worse though. The balance shafts are gone. And too be honest I'm just tired of the major problems with this engine. If I'm looking at doing the head gasket as well than I might be done with it. A few quirks is one thing but these seem to be poorly designed. If people could just inform me if seepage is common I wouldn't worry. If everybody else's is dry than I probably have a problem. Thanks

6. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Seepage is common from a number of areas, the HG isn't one of them. Make sure it's not the valve cover or EGR, or intake piping. Those all love to seep. Sometimes, the oil can drip down and stain the corners.

7. honorben

honorben New Member

Car:
    05 passat tdi wagon
    So here is what I'm talking about regarding head seepage.There is no valve cover gasket leak on this side of the engine(drivers side)

Attached Files:

8. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    That's so minor that I would ignore it.

9. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    wonder where the oil feed to head port is... older ones its between 2 and 3 and ive seen the hg fail where it blows oil right out #3 exhaust valve... leaks between the 3 layers of the headgasket at that...

the big squarish port is oil return/vapor.. and they are common to look like that... both rear corners tend to do it also..

if your using the proper oil.. and keeping your foot out of it till way after the defrost works to clear the whole windshield.. then id not worry too much unless it starts missing oil.. but if you pin it to win it at first start.. expect a hg in your future.. especially if not using the proper oil

honorben likes this.