1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Head gasket failure... again

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by muczaczo, Jun 11, 2012.

1. muczaczo

muczaczo New Member

Car:
    Ibiza ASV 2000
    Mods:
    Turbo AWX + 0.216
    First of all big Hi to all of you,

i came here looking for the solution of my problem/s - i've found already some nice faq's, so I'm definitely going to stay here for a while . Lately I'm having some trouble with my lightly modded Ibiza ASV ;/ The mods are:

AWX Turbo
    216 injectors

This setup give a really nice boost of performance for my good ol' diesel:

[​IMG]

These aren't any hardkore settings - just 1.4 bar pressure and 48 mg IQ.
    But since then I've got some serious problem with my head gasket. BEFORE this settings has been applied the head gasket was replaced by mechanic because of too high pressure in the coolant. The head was completely refurbished, new head bolts has been used... so everything should be ok... but it isn't. After 4000 km I'm having again trouble with too high pressure - it's even worse than before the first head gasket change. Mechanic who changed the head gasket is telling some nonsense about stuck up cooler... but it can't be this since ALL water pipes before and after the cooler are extremely pumped up. So i came to conclusion; why give the car to jet another mechanic to **** it up again - it would be better to learn something new :D I have already some experience with my car - i've managed to change injectors and turbo without any serious trouble. I've already read this manual:
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/cylinder-head-removal-ALH-TDI-engine.htm

but the questions are; is this going to be tough work? What "special" tools do I need? What else should I check in order to get everything working correct again? Thank's for help and sorry for my poor language skills ;)
    login to remove this ad
  2. Mavrick

Mavrick Member

Car:
    1999.5 VW Jetta TDI
    Was the head shaved and if so, how much was removed? If not done properly, this could give you serious issues.
  3. muczaczo

muczaczo New Member

Car:
    Ibiza ASV 2000
    Mods:
    Turbo AWX + 0.216
    Yeah, it was - like 0,5 mm. But I found possible reason for my problems - the head gasket was uncorrect i suppose ;/ The original two holes gasket is 1,65 mm thin (same thing elring) and mine was replaced with a goetze two holes gasket which is fine, but it is just 1,58 mm. With stock boost it should work fine but not with mine - it gave a very nice boost in perfomance but not for a long time... ;/ What damage can be done because of too high compression?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012