1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Have MIL on, code shows problem cylinder 4

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI' started by tkriesel, Feb 19, 2012.

1. tkriesel

tkriesel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2010
    I have a 2010 jetta tdi with 40980 miles. The mil indicator is on and I scanned with code reader and it shows po272 which says "Cylinder 4 contribution balance fault" , the dealer did charge 115.00 to tell me that this code was what they got as well. I have a hard time believing that this is all they know. They said they could install new injectors but can't say for sure if this is the problem. It's so expensive that i'd like to see if anyone might have had this same issue. I may take to a second dealer to see what they say but, of course, they charge 105.00 to hook their VAS to the car. I am looking into getting a VCDS. This is a great site , I have learned a lot. - Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Are you familiar with HPFP problems? There's been a few cases of the high pressure fuel pump failing, nobody knows the exact cause but so far the best guesses I've heard are a weak design and low quality fuel. I don't know what could cause that code but sounds like injectors or glow plugs (they sense pressure) or another sensor problem. Do you have metal flakes in the fuel filter? Just a thought. If you are having an engine problems you'd want to get it taken care of now.
  3. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    While VCDS is an outstanding diagnostic tool, unless you're a serious automotive-mechanics affictionado, I'm afraid it won't help you all that much right now... the VW Common Rail engines are so new that there's still no large knowledge base "out there" that will help you figure out what needs to be done to your car... I would venture to say that most of the dealers are also in the dark about the more complex issues that may come up... (heck... some of them are still putting the wrong oil in 2004-vintage TDIs...)

The only thing I can offer is my sympathies and wishes that whatever diagnosis eventually comes around won't wind up costing you too much money!

Good luck!!! Please keep us posted...

Yuri
  4. tkriesel

tkriesel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2010
    -I am trying some fuel injector cleaner now and will take to another dealer tomorrow. I just had thought that the dealer could diagnose the problem with more accuracy, instead of attempting fix after fix and not trying inexpensive stuff first. I have no problem with the injector replacement if it works(700.00) but it's a lot of money if it doesn't work.
    -I just changed fuel filter and I saw no metal flakes anywhere. Thanks for the help
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

The dealer charged you to get this code? Change your dealer as it should be free while under warranty, or is it out of warranty now?

Yes get yourself VCDS.

EOBD II Error Code: P0272

Fault Location:
    Cylinder 4 - Contribution/balance fault

Possible Cause:
    Wiring.
    Fuel system.
    Engine control module (ECM).

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/
  6. tkriesel

tkriesel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2010
    -First dealer charged 115.00 to scan and the second one will charge 105.00 to scan.
    -The dealer stated that engine and drivetrain are under warranty and they say that the injectors are not included in the warranty. Does anyone know if that is true?
  7. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I would have thought that the injectors are covered under warranty though its hard to say when you read the VW Warranty UK

What mileage as it done?
  8. tkriesel

tkriesel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2010
    I believe the warranty is up 36000 for anything and from 36000 to 100000 for engine and powertrain-
  9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well I've never heard of up to 100k for engine and powertrain.
  10. tkriesel

tkriesel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2010
    Ok the warranty is 36000 and then to 60000 for engine, transmission and drivetrain - engine warranty covers cylinder block, internals, heads, valve train, spur belt, flywheel, oil and water pumps, manifolds and all related seals gaskets - but as an incentive to buy at this dealer they upped the warranty to 100000 miles. In any case I am at less than 41000 but I guess the injectors are not covered
  11. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    So this is a dealer extended warranty to 100k. The warranty is 60k in the UK as standard.

Well the option at the moment is get yourself VCDS so you can do some measuring block tests to see if injectors and sensors are operating equally. You can do your own Autoscan and clear any DTC's that will save you $115 a time, so 3 test and VCDS has paid for itself.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2012
  12. tkriesel

tkriesel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2010
    I think we have it resolved now. I changed the fuel filter and cleared the code and I majorly dosed it with injector cleaner. This seems to have fixed the issue. The light did not come back on after 300 miles and everything is working better with normal power. Thanks for all the help- hopefully this will end well