Has VW rectified fuel pump issues?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by JMD, May 14, 2012.

1. JMD

JMD New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Golf TDI 6M
    Wondering if anyone has any info on whether or not HPFP failures are still occurring? I would love a diesel but I would want it to the the reliable TDI like I see over here in Europe that does not give people cause for concern. Moving to the States and Golf TDI is what I am interested in.

Is it a matter of just poor diesel quality affecting the fuel pumps? or what?

I saw where the fixed the fuel line issues with dampers. Not so worried about that one.

Has VW solved this thing yet? You would figure after a few years it would over with by now.

john

No diesels yet. Wanting to make sure VW gets it right first.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I seem to remember some people still have this problem. Nobody can say 100% what the problem is but there's some good guesses: misfueling or low quality fuel at some point which damages the pump later, poor design of the pump which lets the pump piston rotate, chronic low lubricity fuel, and of course all of the above?

If it makes you feel any better, few people report it but when it does, it's a big issue. Bosch has made a few pump revisions but nobody outside of Bosch knows what they are. The PN are all the same.
  3. xeno555

xeno555 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Admitting that it is fixed, would be admitting that something was wrong...
  4. Pig Man

Pig Man New Member

Car:
    2012 JSW TDI 6 speed manual
    Erring on the side of caution I am adding 5OZ of Diesel Kleen and 2OZ of Stanadyne Lubricity formula with every tankful. I think it is the perfect affordable cocktail to supplement US ULSD fuel.
  5. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    Until there is a solid engineering fix, read oil lubricated roller bearing, I would avoid, but, that is just me...
  6. JMD

JMD New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Golf TDI 6M
    Chudzikb,

That is what I have been thinking lately. Maybe VW needs a couple more years to make any necessary fixes. One thing that is interesting. I was on BMW site the other day and saw the 335D is no longer offered. HPFP issues? I wonder. Been leaning toward a GTI purchase at this time. I know the percentage is small considering the amount they sell but I think it is more than just a few lemons being sold.
  7. Feyd

Feyd New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    I think they just released the new body style f30 3er in the last 60 days... so it's probably just the end of the outgoing E9x generation 335d's product cycle. I'm sure that later this year the 335 will reappear. There is also rumblings of a 535d this year too. :eek
  8. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    I agree, BMW rolls out the different models over time, hopefully, they will bring us there most excellent 4 cly model as well. I have a BMW, you don't worry so much about stuff breaking. And when it does it is not so bad. At least IMHO, and experience.
  9. dezel

dezel Member

Car:
    02 jetta tdi leather gls
    Mods:
    Kerma chip & Bosio 520 nozzles
    I dont have the fund$ for a BMW. It would have been nice if VW could have improved ALH model year. The company I work for has stoped buying 250, 350 & 450 diesels, went to v10's. because of maintenance issues. I add additives for peace of mind but I dont see how this will solve a design flaw. The stealerships say not to use them, so what do you do?
  10. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus (prev: 2012 JSW Manual)
  11. wilcharl

wilcharl New Member

Car:
    2010 JETTA TDI
    I am partially convinced that the HPFP problems only happen to people that are on the OTHER TDI FORUM!

Joking aside, the failures seem to have dropped off and the focus has shifted to the rod bending engine destroying intercooler icing from hell
  12. JMD

JMD New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Golf TDI 6M
    Something else going wrong? have not heard of intercooler issues yet. I have a VW rabbit and passat and they are both great but are gassers. Maybe i should just stick with gas. 2.5L engine has been very reliable. I hear people don't necessarily like it but it has been fun and continuously runs every single day. No failures. I guess I can buy a lot of gas for the price difference between gas powered golf and diesel golf. however, I need a 4 door and VW for some stupid reason only makes 4/door gasser with an automatic transmission. But I am starting getting to the point that I would like to keep my cars 10 + years and for me diesel would seem to be the way to go. Maybe if I did not research so much, I would have been better off blissfully unaware of any diesel issues.
  13. dezel

dezel Member

Car:
    02 jetta tdi leather gls
    Mods:
    Kerma chip & Bosio 520 nozzles
    The standard of US diesel fuel-- scar no greater than 520 microns. Engine manf.-- scar no greater than 400 to 460 microns,lower scar the better. See (tdi-issues.com) There should be a manufacturer culpability, a product made FUEL PUMP, requires a higher specification of fuel for which Fuel company's cant provide sufficient quality. SO why cant Bosch make a fuel pump for fuel in the united states? Many will say "thats crazy reasoning" It's crazy for VW to say when one fails:You put gas in your vehicle every time one fails!! Whats going to happen when these cars get about 10 or 15 years on them? Nothing because the failure rate is within allowable limits. By then the cost of repair will be greater than the value of the vehicle.
  14. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Jetta, Golf, Sportwagen have front mount air-air intercooler. Condensation freezes when very cold, blocks engine as a no-start, has sometimes resulted in hydrolock when bits of ice go into engine. VW has no permanent solution, no production changes.

Passat uses air-water intercooler, problem fixed. Has a little more room in the front so I don't know if it would work on J-G-JSW.
  15. SSchofield

SSchofield New Member

Car:
    TBA 2012 Passat TDI SE 6M
    Mods:
    none
    I hope all will be well when I test drive a 4 door golf tdi 6M tomorrow... I might take the plunge... I hope I don't regret it if I do buy it. The Passat SE 6M is too hard to find.
  16. JMD

JMD New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Golf TDI 6M
    Passat is OK but I love having a hatch. Not really an option. As for HPFP issues; VWs only response is to give it a 5/yr 60,000 miles or something like that. How long do diesels when operating properly last? Heck of a lot longer than that. I love VW but want ultra high MPG and want to keep it for a minimum of 10 years or so and given their reliability over here in Germany I though the TDI would be the best choice when I move back to the States in a month. However, I guess you make a great German car lousy when you give it lousy diesel (lousy compared to what is over here). Maybe once it was determined that diesel would not be made to the specifications that their TDI generally requires, they should not have brought it here?
  17. Philth

Philth Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDi
    Man, this Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is looking more and more attractive. :-/
  18. whiplash willy

whiplash willy New Member

Car:
    2011 TDI Jetta DSG
    Do you know if you have to have Geico insurance to buy their Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. I don't think I can switch to Geico, but I definitely would buy their MBI separately if I could!
  19. Philth

Philth Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDi
    I'm almost 100% positive that you have to have their car insurance, because it's a rider to the basic policy. And you have to do it before you reach 15k miles. They are quoting me around $50 every 6 months for the MBI, which is good for 100k on the car. Assuming they don't raise the rates, it's going to be around $700 for 7 years worth of coverage w/ a $250 deductable.
  20. ksing44

ksing44 Member