Has anyone used Seafoam in their diesel engine?

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by TDIPete, Apr 16, 2012.

1. TDIPete

TDIPete New Member

Car:
    1999 mk3
    Mods:
    Bondo
    I have used this product for many years on my gas engines (trucks, cars), my two stroke and 4stroke snowmobiles, outboards, etc with great success.

I have never tried it in my new to me 99 Jetta. I did some research and found this link. I am going to follow the recommendations by pouring Seafoam into my old fuel filter and hot soaking the engine.

The result on my old gas truck has been amazing and I am assuming it will be good on the diesel also.

Has anyone tried this?

Here is the link to Diesel FAQ's and Seafoam.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/diesel-engine-faqs.html
    login to remove this ad
  2. Pig Man

Pig Man New Member

Car:
    2012 JSW TDI 6 speed manual
    I hope someone replies to this with experience. I also have a gas truck that I have used Seafoam on a couple times in the past with very good results. I did the "three way" with the gas treatment, oil treatment prior to oil change and the engine choke through the vacuum line. It ran remarkably smoother for quite a long time. I assume that the diesel results will be the same but have may miles to put on my new TDI before considering this.

I think the one consideration is that Seafoam is 10 to 20% Isopropyl Alcohol. That may be a big no-no for diesel since most fuel additives that are safe seem to tout that the are alcohol free. Anybody have an opinion on that?
  3. TDIPete

TDIPete New Member

Car:
    1999 mk3
    Mods:
    Bondo
    Don't know anything about the Isopropyl Alcohol being bad. It does say that Seafoam is safe for diesel engines. Now I am very curious. I think I will do the engine soak anyway....
  4. dezel

dezel Member

Car:
    02 jetta tdi leather gls
    Mods:
    Kerma chip & Bosio 520 nozzles
    I cant say it's safe for tdi engines but it did wonders on my toyota sequioa. Ive been fighting 02 sensor codes for over a year even after replacing them and cats. The check engine light would go on and off. So today I got Seaform spray, sprayed it into throttle body, let it soak 5 min. Before I got out of the driveway light was off, runs a lot better. If anyone has a gas vehicle do this simple process first before believing the scanner. Good old ethanol causing problems.