1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Has anyone used Seafoam in their diesel engine?

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by TDIPete, Apr 16, 2012.

1. TDIPete

TDIPete New Member

Car:
    1999 mk3
    Mods:
    Bondo
    I have used this product for many years on my gas engines (trucks, cars), my two stroke and 4stroke snowmobiles, outboards, etc with great success.

I have never tried it in my new to me 99 Jetta. I did some research and found this link. I am going to follow the recommendations by pouring Seafoam into my old fuel filter and hot soaking the engine.

The result on my old gas truck has been amazing and I am assuming it will be good on the diesel also.

Has anyone tried this?

Here is the link to Diesel FAQ's and Seafoam.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/diesel-engine-faqs.html
    login to remove this ad
  2. Pig Man

Pig Man New Member

Car:
    2012 JSW TDI 6 speed manual
    I hope someone replies to this with experience. I also have a gas truck that I have used Seafoam on a couple times in the past with very good results. I did the "three way" with the gas treatment, oil treatment prior to oil change and the engine choke through the vacuum line. It ran remarkably smoother for quite a long time. I assume that the diesel results will be the same but have may miles to put on my new TDI before considering this.

I think the one consideration is that Seafoam is 10 to 20% Isopropyl Alcohol. That may be a big no-no for diesel since most fuel additives that are safe seem to tout that the are alcohol free. Anybody have an opinion on that?
  3. TDIPete

TDIPete New Member

Car:
    1999 mk3
    Mods:
    Bondo
    Don't know anything about the Isopropyl Alcohol being bad. It does say that Seafoam is safe for diesel engines. Now I am very curious. I think I will do the engine soak anyway....
  4. dezel

dezel Member

Car:
    02 jetta tdi leather gls
    Mods:
    Kerma chip & Bosio 520 nozzles
    I cant say it's safe for tdi engines but it did wonders on my toyota sequioa. Ive been fighting 02 sensor codes for over a year even after replacing them and cats. The check engine light would go on and off. So today I got Seaform spray, sprayed it into throttle body, let it soak 5 min. Before I got out of the driveway light was off, runs a lot better. If anyone has a gas vehicle do this simple process first before believing the scanner. Good old ethanol causing problems.