GTD Coming to US along with Mk7 Golf/GTI???

Discussion in 'Mk7 VW Golf TDI and 2015+ Audi A3 TDI forums' started by benfactorial, Jul 23, 2012.

1. benfactorial

benfactorial New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Golf TDI w/ Tech Package, DSG
    http://blog.caranddriver.com/vw-con...r-mkvii-golf-gti-next-gen-gtd-could-come-too/

Oooh boy would I love to have a GTD. Looks like the Mk7 Golfs are going to arrive in the US in Fall 2013, and we might possibly get the GTD too. Had I known a GTD would be coming this soon, I might've refrained from my 2012 Golf TDI purchase last year!

If we get the GTD, do you think we could possibly get a Golf R Diesel around 2015 or 2016 as well?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Good luck its been along time coming for you guys in the States.
  3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Probably not the R diesel and if they did, it'd probably be much cheaper / easier to find to just add that stuff to a GTD.

Yeah, I would have probably looked at a GTD if they had them here but I'm glad we don't have to pay UK prices or Australian prices...golfs cost like $40,000 US dollars there.
  5. chgofirefighter

chgofirefighter Member

Car:
    2011 VW Golf TDI 4 door
    $40,000!!??? For a Golf? Damn
  6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    The UK GTD starts from £24,975.
  7. benfactorial

benfactorial New Member

Car:
    Hmm... Well a $40k GTD is out of my price range. $32k or $33k maybe, but how much more expensive is it really for VW to build and import a GTD vs a normal Golf TDI? I'll stop being excited about the GTD if they're going to try and sell it for the price of an Audi.
  8. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    It will cost no more to build or import a GTD into the States. You guys could have had GTD's when they came out the reason you didn't as far as I can make is it doesn't meet the emission regs for various States.
  9. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yeah, I just checked Aus pricing, a base 100 hp Golf costs $27k, Golf TDI is $40k, and GTD is $45k-$48k. jaw drops

Smaller market, taxes, and importing really add up. But I'm sure the GTD will be priced similarly to the GTI here.
  10. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    The GTI is £700 more than the GTD in the UK as my link shows. Its strange they sell them for the same price in the US? They have had the GTD in Australia for a long time.
  11. benfactorial

benfactorial New Member

Car:
    Well, we don't have the GTD yet... Chitty says that it should be priced the same as the GTI, but I don't see how they could do that. The regular golf TDI is already priced the same as the GTI here (give or take a few hundred $). I expect the the GTD to be a little more expensive than the GTI, if it actually arrives on our shore. If it gets too expensive though, I'll be tempted to just get an Audi A3 TDI... though we won't be getting the hatch version of that :-(
  12. nlz242

nlz242 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI Highline
    I really hope we will get the GTD.
    If a GTD was avail. i would have picked that over my current TDI.
    My highline TDI with the votex kit, replaced headlights and taillights, costs more than most GTI sold here. And i'm still not done modifying it to match what i want... still looking to replace the steering wheel and some other details...

So yeah, for me, a GTD would have been less expensive than what im currently doing! Oh well! It'll probably be Mk8 when i get into the market again! :p
  13. Almir&

Almir& Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SE
    Having a car in Europe is considered a luxury, us in America take for granted as a everyday necessity. My uncle in Denmark paid some ridiculous price for a Camry..and of course regular Europeans tend to keep their cars for a long period of time. This reason alone is why I splurged on a Passat this year..and probably will splurge on a Taureg TDI or Golf GTD in next 2-3 yrs for my wife. (Yes that is a big spectrum between a Golf and a Taureg)