"Grinding" sounds and feels when at 1800 rpm

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by blays, Aug 18, 2016.

1. blays

blays New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    Hi, I bought my 2002 VW jetta turbo tdi about 6 months ago from my uncle (a diesel mechanic). It just hit the 245,000 mile mark and it runs great, except for one problem: there's a prominent grinding when I'm at around 1800 rpm. I can feel it through the gas pedal and it will vibrate the dashboard. It seems to only occur when the engine is warm and I've been driving for a while. I have searched all over this website and others for a similar problem but I haven't really found any answers.

I think it might be the EGR valve but my uncle cleaned it right before I bought it off him and it was still acting up. He may not have cleaned it out properly (check engine light still gives EGR code) and I am going to take it off and clean everything myself, but I just wanted to know if anyone could pinpoint what this could possibly be. My first guess was the transmission, but it shifts like a dream; it's keeping the rpm at that 1800 mark that it grinds. I have been reading that carbon buildup inside the EGR can cause serious damage, could it also cause this grinding?

Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I doubt the carbon buildup is causing the grinding. I would bet it is related to the flywheel or perhaps a boost leak. If you're lugging the engine this will also cause issues. I would start w/boost leak check and inspecting all vac lines, turbo operation.

3. blays

blays New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    A boost leak could be it, I didn't think of that. I'll check it out. Thanks for the response!

4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    what bout exhaust rubbing something?

5. blays

blays New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    So just wanted to update this for anyone in the future having the same problem:

Codes it was pulling were:
    16785 (EGR flow insufficient)
    16485 (MAF implausible / vacuum leak)
    16486 (MA circuit low input / air filter)
    01192 (A/T)

EGR was cleaned, MAF replaced (including connecting housing), fuel filter replaced, air filter replaced. Still have problems.

Here, the stumble is being caused by a torque converter lock-up AKA a transmission failure, from code 01192 on the vag. Checking to see if I can do anything to remedy the problem (change trans fluid/etc). Once weather breaks going to swap out automatic trans for a manual.

6. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    just throw $ at it... be like the rest.. screw diagnostics... money fixes all.. no idea how any of that makes a rubbing vibration... none...

a/t as in autotragic?? eliminates duel mass flywheel... but torque converter to flex plate nuts loose/missing? i can assume its been out and not oe.. seen broken/cracked flex plates too..

7. Aaron Moir

Aaron Moir Member

Car:
    02 tdi gls jetta
    Mods:
    Chipped, 2.5" SMIC Upgraded Pipes, Kerma OMI, 2.5"Turboback Exhaust, EGT & Boost Gauges, EGR Delete, CCV Mod, SMF VR6/G60
    When, NOT IF, your DMF starts to go, it can stress out motor mounts which can cause vibration. As for the EGR, get rid of that POS. Keep it for E-tests though...