golf gti tdi fitted a timng belt on a golf gt tdi engine code BKD car won't start

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by speersy1, Jun 1, 2012.

1. speersy1

speersy1 New Member

Car:
    golf gttdi
    hi there,need help, i have fitted a timng belt on a golf gt tdi engine code BKD & now the car wont start,can someone tell me if the fuel pump runs off the timing belt & if so does it need to be set up ie timing mark? i thought it ws just 2 cam shaft pulleys,crankshaft pulley & water pump?? im almost 100% the timing marks were set up propery.... many thanx
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Did you use the correct timing locks? I'm not sure how to setup the DOHC engiens but if you didn't use any timing belt special tools or index the belt position REDO it or else you can experience timing belt failure. See the FAQ for similar writeups on SOHC enignes. If the timing is off the car won't start. Fuel pump does not run off timing belt. Please find a BKD DOHC engine writeup and follow it careully or else you can cause serious damage to the engine. If you just made some paint marks it is often wrong.

If you removed the fuel pump then your head is full of air. See the fuel filter replacement articles for tips on purging air out of the fuel rails (in the head).
  3. speersy1

speersy1 New Member

Car:
    golf gttdi
    many thanx for your reply,ive since removed & refitted the belt & the car now starts & drives but is struggling to start so think it still may have slight timing issues so my plan is to use a proper crank locking tool to confirm this & hopefully car will be bacck to 100%