1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Gearing vs. tire sizing

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by iceman, Jan 2, 2010.

1. iceman

iceman New Member

Hey, great site. I found the gearing and tire calculator and would llike to know the difference between using larger tires vs. the 5th gear swap to lower rpm. I know that the 5th gear will only change 5th gear but how is rpm affected when using larger tires? Your calculator doesn't have a slot for that.
    login to remove this ad
  2. BillK

BillK New Member

Larger tire will lower rpm regardless of the gear. Every gear will go down the same percent.
  3. iceman

iceman New Member

What I mean is what is the gearing for every gear so I can put it into the calculator. This is for a '98 jetta.
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Here is what you want:

gear - ratio
    1 -----3.777
    2 -----2.117
    3 -----1.360
    4 -----0.971
    5 -----0.755

final drive - 3.157

This is for a 02a CTN 5 speed transmission for the 1Z AHU engines. I didn't put it up because 5th gear is the most relevant to a 5th gear swap. You will also want to change the speed input field to see what engine rpm the engine will be at. Here is the link to the tire, wheel, gearing, and engine rpm calculator - http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/tirewheelCalc.htm
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  5. iceman

iceman New Member

I think you reversed 1st and 2nd gear, I put in the numbers and they don't match up with what I see.
  6. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Whopps! I read the manual too fast, 1st is actually final drive. The listing is now fixed and should be correct.
  7. iceman

iceman New Member

Great, these new numbers seem correct. 1st gear is so low that I wanted to raise it too, not just 5th.