Fuel leak !

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by chfscott, Apr 6, 2011.

1. chfscott

chfscott New Member

Car:
    2011 JSW TDI
    On my way home this morning in my 2011 jsw I noticed a little smoke coming from under the hood. When I reached the off ramp I got a wiff of diesel:eek. I have had the car less than two months but have a long commute so I just turned 5k miles. I have had the car back to the dealership three times, the first two were fit/finish issues so this is the first(hopefully last) major issue. I am new to VW and equally new to diesel so hopefully I won't regret my choice. I love the way the car drives/size, and with my long commute the mpg was the deal maker. I just commented to my wife this week that the only below average Consumer Reports rating for this car was the fuel system. I guess they knew what they were talking about.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Stefan2006

Stefan2006 New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    Smoke? Was it in fact a fuel leak? IMHO, with that long of a drive I'd just put up with any small issues.
  3. chfscott

chfscott New Member

Car:
    2011 JSW TDI
    It was/is a fuel leak caused either by the fuel rail or the injector according to the service writer. The tech said when the ignition was turned and the system pressurized the leak appeared. He ordered parts to repair both and hopefully it will be repaired and returned to me tomorrow, or is that today, I get confused working nights. Anyway, this was not an issue to be "put up with", the car had not exhibited anything like this previously and the smell of fuel was pretty strong.
  4. buggy9

buggy9 New Member

File a report with the NTHSA, any problem that is safety related should be reported.
  5. chfscott

chfscott New Member

Car:
    2011 JSW TDI
    A pinhole leak in the fuel rail line to/at injector #2 was the official diagnosis with both the line and the injector replaced. Dealership handled the repair quickly and without any drama. I will file with NTHSA now that I have word on the actual item that failed.
  6. dweisel

dweisel Member

Car:
    09 tdi Jetta Sedan-09 tdi Jetta SW-03 tdi Beetle
    Mods:
    dweisel's stainless fuel sending rods
    There have been a couple of owner's that have had a fuel leak because of a cracked fuel line or injector seal. Glad you got it fixed.

dweisel
  7. glennco

glennco New Member

Car:
    2010 TDI Sportwagen
    Yep, I'm one of them. Hairline crack by the injector fitting.
  8. tdi-save$

tdi-save$ New Member

Car:
    2011 jetta
    had same problem #2 cylinder they replaced line and injecter
  9. chfscott

chfscott New Member

Car:
    2011 JSW TDI
    I did file a report with the NHTSA, the investigating engineer e-mailed me several times for follow up questions, copies of the service repoort and even some pics of the engine. I answered all the questions as best I could and mentioned how I had seen resposes to my op that others had similar experiences, especially that they all indicated that their fuel leak problems seemed to involve the#2 injector. Hopefully others who have had this problem have also reported it. All is well now with the my JSW and I find myself liking it more and more each day!:D
  10. deblaf

deblaf New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2011
    I had mine three months and it had 4000 miles on it and one of the fuel injectors failed. Almost all the fuel leaked out of the car. I had a half gallon left by the time I refueled. It sprayed fuel all over the inside of the engine compartment and leaked fuel down the driveway.

I also reported it to NHTSA and have been contacted by the investigating engineer a couple of times for details.

So far the car is doing fine after the replacement.

I also had a body control module fail and had to have that replaced.