From diesel to diesel

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by kylec922, May 19, 2012.

1. kylec922

kylec922 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Hello all, just wanted to say hey over here. I just sold my 2005 Cummins 2500 diesel, and tomorrow I'm picking up an 06' TDI Jetta in red with 118k for 12k. The car is very clean and 1 owner, buying from a VW dealership. I will end up buying another Cummins hopefully this year or next, but this will be our (new, 9 monthes ago!) family car for a long time. :)
    I'm pumped! I think I got a good deal on the car, what do you guys think? Oh yeah, Sat. radio, moonroof, heated leather.. I already have some upgrade mods in mind, so that's why I'm here! I have to say, once you go diesel you don't go back whether it's a truck or car. On top of the better MPG, the resale is amazing. I'm a tightwad, so this is the only car out there that had my name on it.
    login to remove this ad
  2. kylec922

kylec922 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    I gotta ask too while I'm at it, what's with all of these cars having the buttons on the radio worn off and white? Is there somewhere I can get those cheap?
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    No button replacements but the radios are so cheap I'd just buy the newer style, they changed the buttons. Sharp fingernails and lotions can melt the coating off. Check out the mk5 early Jetta buying guide. Also, only package 2 has real leather, everything else is leatherette.

welcometomyturbodies
  4. kylec922

kylec922 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Yeah, but with 95% of the cars having the leatherette I just gave up and say leather haha. I would've loved to had real leather but at least this stuff is durable. Feels ok to me too. Yes I definitely checked out the buying guide already! The touchscreen nav radio was one of the mods I was going to do possibly, and depending on the cost the GLI Hid headlights would be awesome too.

Picked up the car today, there isn't hardly a scratch on it at 118k. The interior is flawless aside from the worn off radio buttons. I couldn't be happier with it so far.

One thing, when I bought the car there was no proof of the timing belt being replaced. I'm thinking of just going ahead and changing that and the water pump as maintenance, thoughts?
  5. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Don't forget to add the tensioner and idler as well as a couple of must-replace fasteners... See the kits at the regularly-recommended vendors like BoraParts, IDparts, Dieselgeek, Metalmanparts, KermaTDI, and a couple of others... You'll find the procedure for your engine in the 1000q area...

BTW: your BRM engine is known for chewing up camshafts, so a careful examination will be in order...

All the best,

Yuri