Free EOBD II Error Codes software

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Keithuk, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Hi guys/gals.

4 years ago when I had my Golf GTD I printed out all 110 pages of data from AD for the Golf 2.0 TDI 2009 because that was the closest vehicle to mine. All the error codes printed out and it took an hour and a half 140 sheets, slow network printer. Some of you my know I make programmes as a hobby so I thought it would be a good idea to put all these VAG, EOBD II, Fault Location and Possible causes 5680 into a database.

Now I started of typing everything into the database with a bit of copy and paste as some items were repeated, I did about 350-400. Even though I've had computers since 1981 I'm still a two fingered typist. At work we use AD its normally £660 each year but we get that at half price because we are a College. Our license runs from April to April and we were having trouble sorting things out. I rang AD and they said we could use the online version of AD while we sorted the problems out. They sent me the info and it works great. I checked on my Golf GTD 2010 and its listed, great. Because these are web pages you can select all and copy everything into a Word doc which I did. Now it was easier and a lot quicker just to copy and paste into the database, it still took me a week to do that.

Our own new version came a few days later and it was installed on one of our servers. I checked my car again and its not listed, it only lists Golf 2.0 TDI 2010 as before. I rang AD and asked how come the online version has my new car but the new server version doesn't? They said the online version is updated monthly. I said ok but my car came out April 2009 and it wasn't on the old version. I had some bumbling excuse.

Sorry to bore you with these trivial details back to the main point of this topic. If anyone is interested in this programme I've made please make a comment. I'm not sure it will suit everyone. I know you can get error code online Ross-Tech. OBD II Code but you have to click on a number change page read it/print it then move back for another number which is slow. Plus you have to be online to access anything.

You can search the database for any VAG or EOBD II error number, Fault location and Possible causes, words or numbers. The simple thing is its a database so any code can be added later. Don't think you can add your own data you can't it deletes the database afterwards. If you find any good sites with code I can add them.

The last app had 7951 error codes this new app has 10,037 error codes.

I've updated the help file so no need to download anything from Microsoft to make it work.

Read the ReadMe First.txt before you run it or install this app.

Oh you can't download this app with IE8, you need to install Google Chrome or FireFox.

Its FREE. ;)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
    jakematic, descheeny, couperS and 8 others like this.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Moved to the general forum for greater visibility and added the code word ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
  3. BMWnugen

BMWnugen New Member

Free? Sure. Is it an access database?
  4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Free? Sure - Isn't it amazing how people always want things for free?

Yes it uses an Access 2003 database but as I said before you can't edit it and add your own codes because it deletes the database when the app closes.

@chittychittybangbang - Cheers I wasn't sure which one is the most read. ;)
  5. JoeMA

JoeMA New Member

I'd be interested. Do you need access to use it? Are there any free access readers?
  6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    No you don't need Office or Access installed because it uses dao360.dll to access the database. Just check in Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\ folder if its there. If it isn't then you can download an update of M$ to put it in. If you're using WinXP/Vista it should already be in there. ;)
  7. buggy9

buggy9 New Member

I'd like to see it too. It sounds interesting.
  8. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Ok guys.

I'm having a problem with the zip attachment. The message says

Your file of 596.0 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 97.7 KB for this filetype. I can't split it down smaller as the exe alone is 2,128Kb because the database an help file are both inbuilt.

Unless chitty can increase my upload limit then you won't be able to see the app sorry. :mad:
  9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Sorry, the upload limit is set across user groups and I don't want everyone to be able to post huge files. Please email it to me, PM sent with more details.
  10. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Ok I've just emailed the zip file to you. Where ever you put this file please add the comment that you need to read the ReadMe First.txt first that will give them basic instructions what to do.

There were 5680 error codes originally but I've added the ones from the Ross-Tech site and shown additional copywrite to them, there are now 5942 error codes.

Catch you later. ;)
  11. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I'm getting error COMCTL32.OCX is not correctly registered - file missing or invalid. I tried copying it to windows sys.

Also, I dont have a DAO folder under: Program Files\Common File\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll

using vista 64

Now you don't need Access or Office installed to run the app as it uses
    Program Files\Common File\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll, make sure you have this file in that folder.
  12. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Ok chitty as a general rule there should be a need to register COMCTL32.OCX it only has to be registered when I'm making the app, this must be a glitch with 64bit. I've given apps to friends along with any necessary ocx files and told them just to put them in your Windows\System32 folder and they all run without a problem. No problem if its in your Windows\System32 folder then just use

Run: regsvr32.exe COMCTL32.OCX Make sure you see the return message. DllRegisterServer in COMCTL32.OCX succeeded.

Now it appears dao360.dll isn't installed on x64 system. I have Vista 32 and it works a treat as it says here

I've searched for MDAC 2.8 for Vista x64 but its very thin on the ground. This site shows a Component Checker the second link down and that as an x64 version. This checks which MDAC your system as installed. MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) was changed to WDAC (Windows Data Access Components). It appears that your can't use the 32bit in a 64bit system because they say is corrupts the registry.

This is something that pi**** me of with Microsoft. From Win3.1 Bill always said that he wants to make Windows systems compatible with each other, well thats more sales bull. I mean you can't even run 16bit apps on x64. I suppose they get around it by having dual boot systems.

The only site that I found some sort of update was SQL Script Builder
    Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 (x64) (.exe) (28 740 Kb.) its Windows 64bit. There is a link to Microsoft on there in the Source link underneath Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable again an X64 version.

Well I'm sorry you can't get it working and you haven't bothered to link the zip to this topic so no one else can try it. If anyone is still interested just PM me your email address and I'll mail it back to you. ;)
  13. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Ok thanks chitty I just wondered. I thought you tried it out thats why you posted the couple of errors running it?

Just read the ReadMe First.txt is you don't know what to do. ;)
  14. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I see that 8 users have downloaded it and 397 have viewed this thread, I presume 32bit users. No comments if its useful or not or any other problems they've found? ;)
  15. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Now 10 users have downloaded it and 523 have viewed this thread, I presume 32bit users. Still no comments if its useful or not or any other problems they've found? ;)
  16. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Now 12 users have downloaded it and 634 have viewed this thread, I presume 32bit users. Still no comments if its useful or not or any other problems they've found?

I've actually revamped it a bit it now shows 6282 error codes. ;)
  17. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I still haven't figured out how to run it. It sounds very useful, can anyone else please download it and give some feedback? It sounds like a very useful project and your effort is definitely appreciated.
  18. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well I've been thinking about this dao360.dll problem on 64bit. We have loads of new laptops at work all running Windows 7 Professional I would say 32bit. They have dao360.dll in the specified folder and they all run my app. Now considering its the newest OS they they say they don't install dao360.dll anymore why is it on there?

I asked about this problem running my app on Vista x64 on a VB forum that I use and they said it probably won't run because its compiled under 32bit and I'm trying to run on a 64bit OS. They also said I could change the database access to ADO not DAO as its newer. That would mean checking if you have this file

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ado\msado28.tlb

Or I make a proper installation package for the app.

What you could do for a trial is it I upload dao360.dll you could just put it in your Windows\System32 folder and register it with Run: regsvr32 dao360.dll

Did you manage to get COMCTL32.OCX registered? ;)
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  19. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Don't have that file under Microsoft shared. I have it under common files\system\ado

I don't want to download a dll, too risky.
  20. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Sorry my mistake its under C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ado\msado28.tlb

Well at least you have it.

I know you don't know me but I'm sure you virus and malware check everything before you use it? Like you did when I posted the original exe and ocx.

You didn't say if you manage to get COMCTL32.OCX registered?

Again I could post you the full installation package if you want to try that way around? ;)