Flashing glow plug with Check Engine light

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by Mickey, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta TDI 1.9l AUH
    HELP>>>>I have a 98 TDI jetta 1.9 AHU motor. I have been plagued by a problem where my glow plug light immediately goes off when I turn the ignition key to start the car. Because the glow plugs don't come on the car is very sluggish with billows of smoke when it starts. Also, within a few seconds my glow plug light starts flashing with a steady "Check Engine" light on my display. I have changed out the relay and temporarily plugged in new temperature sending switch (connected a new switch to the plug leaving the old one still in the system) and the problem persists. When I disconnect the temperature sending module the glow plug light stays on. My rear brake lights are working, there's no water in my tank and ,worst of all, there's no error codes shown. I'm really puzzled, my mechanic says the only thing he can think of is to replace the car's computer but that's about $1,400 from the dealer. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    #3 injector lift sensor, throttle positioning sensor, they both cause the light to flash, is there no fault codes stored?

Ps sack your mechanic lol

welcometomyturbodies
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Since you've already replaced the relay and know the GP work, and still not fixed, check pin wiring to ECM. Beyond that, buy a VCDS and do some sensor logging and check the adaptation values and see for yourself. Cheaper than a mechanic in the long run anyways.
  4. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta TDI 1.9l AUH
    I'll check the pin wiring as soon as I can. I tried replacing the temp sensor local VW dealer he gave me a blue banded sensor instead of yellow?) and still the same. Thanks for your suggestions.
  5. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    Hi,
    "...glow plug light immediately goes off when I turn the ignition key to start the car..."
    This is normal and no fault. You should wait until the glow plug light goes off, and start then.
    How did you or your mechanic check for error codes? A blinking glow plug light definitely means an error, and there must be a code stored.
    The only point which I see for the moment is that the problem is not related to a coolant temperature sensor or air temperature sensor. This would not lead to a blinking glow plug light.
    I recommend to work with VCDS, too. Stop fiddling with wire connections and modules, as long as you do not know more.
    Cheers
  6. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta TDI 1.9l AUH
    My mechanic has been using a VCDS and when he finds no error codes. The problem with the GP light going off when I initially turn the key is that even when it's cold the GP does not stay on showing that the glow plugs are heating up the system. That's why the Jetta bellows clouds of smoke and is so rough at the start because I'm trying to start a cold engine. One thing we noticed yesterday was that the module holding the relay fuse shows signs of overheating (partially melted where the fuse is screwed in). My mechanic will check that Monday.
  7. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta TDI 1.9l AUH
    wrong fuse

I just realized the glow plug fuse (s39) has not been checked. I thought the relay fuse was the 50 amp fuse mounted on the fire wall with the "flip" window (by the way, the assembly that fuse is mounted on is partially melted away). I'll try to pull down the relay assembly board and check the fuse mounted above the GP relay 180.
  8. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta TDI 1.9l AUH
    At L O N G last no error codes

I've waited a couple of days and I finally have no "flashing glow plug" or "check engine" displays on my dash board.Either the mechanic or myself changed out the glow plug relay, temperature sender, and checked the associated fuses without success. However when the "Coolant Glow Plug Control" (P/N 191911261B) was replaced everything quieted down. The "Coolant Glow Plug Control" is that 50 amp module mounted on the firewall of my 98 Jetta AHU TDI-the one that has a habit of over heating and melting. I don't know what that has to do with my flashing glow plug signal but that seems to be the cause.
    Now, so I can minimize the cost of my mechanic, can anyone suggest a good VCDS program I would be gratefull-either PC laptop or Ipad. Thanks for your help. Mickey
  9. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    ebay

Vag Com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I just got mine from E-bay from a store in Tuscon AZ for $19 free shipping and did the lite registration for $99 at Ros - Tech works great I'm glad I called Ros - Tec they told me to go to ebay and save a lot of $$
  10. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta TDI 1.9l AUH
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'll check it out right away-thanks again Mickey
  11. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta TDI 1.9l AUH
    Crap!! After 4 days the dreaded "Flashing Glow Plug" and "Check Engine" light reappeared! However this time (thanks to AZ Mike) I was able to get a "Ross-Tech VDCS" diagnostic error code. The only error code that is present is "00542-needle lift Sensor (G80)- Open or Short to plus" I'll start doing some research to see what can be done and if IT HAS ANYTHING to do with a "Flashing Glow Plug"
  12. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta TDI 1.9l AUH
    Ready to "TAKE THE BRIDGE"

I'm am about to check myself into the insane asylum. I have the code (00542) and my mechanic assures my he checked all the normal problems (#3 injector lift sensor, pin wiring to ECM). It's the same code he's been exploring all along-before I spent $280 for the Ross-Tech software to get to the same place he was 2 weeks ago. I don't know why there was a 4 day delay in the "flashing glow plug and Check Engine" lights after he replaced the "Coolant Glow Plug Control" (P/N 191911261B) module.
    Right now I'm in a terrible position- the car is running great but I'm due for my auto inspection in a few weeks with a fault code that won't go away without any suspects!
    Any ideas will be welcome-short of LOCKING ME UP!
    I just went out and calmly did another scan with my Ross-Tech VCDS. The dreaded 00542 was there listed as an intermittent error. I logged it and cleared the code. I just want to see how long it takes to return.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  13. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta TDI 1.9l AUH
    Flashing "Glow Plug" with steady "Check Engine" light

I know it's been some time with an update to my problem, but I needed the time to make sure the problem has been resolved. My 98 Jetta 1.9 l AUH has been experiencing a flashing "Glow Plug" and steady "Check Engine" light for a few months after basically sitting for 6 weeks awaiting new parts and a complete body and paint job. I purchased a Ross-Tech VCDs and it showed:
    "00542 - Needle lift Sensor (G80)

30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent"

I changed out the glow plug relay, the temp sensor and a 50 amp relay module on the firewall. In the end it turned out to be a dirty injector (#3). that was to blame. I used injector cleaner on three fillups (also a couple of tanks of 5% ethanol bio) and the problem diminished from 30 miles between resets to...well, it's been about 2,000 miles and still cleared). So it seems after spending ~$500
    in parts the problem was resolved with about $3.00 in injector cleaner. Well, live and learn. And thanks for all your help. It could have been any number of things and one of the things suggested early on (which I initially ignored was "a dirty injector" Thanks again-Mickey
  14. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 00542

Fault Location:
    Needle Lift Sensor (G80) - Open or Short to Positive

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) ON.
    Pre-Glow Indicator Light ON.

Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Needle lift Sensor (G80) faulty.
    Needle lift Sensor (G80) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Needle lift Sensor (G80).
    Check/Replace Needle lift Sensor (G80).

Taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/
  15. vwseller

vwseller New Member

Car:
    2002 VW Beetle
    I have a 2002 VW Beetle with the same exact problem and its driving me nuts! My car shakes and sometimes shuts off while driving. I'm going to start with a cleaner before I spent money in some other areas. What kind of injector cleaner did you use? thanks
  16. Grimmer

Grimmer Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 99
    Mods:
    Turbo, suspension
    Did you test the ohms reading off that injector? I'm having this problem but the car is in limp home mode. I got a reading of 116 ohms 80-120 being good