Flashing Glow Plug light

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by cttdi, Nov 19, 2009.

1. cttdi

cttdi New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI 2 Dr
    Yesterday I was driving and heard a beep. I saw my glow plug light flashing which according to the book that comes with the 2010 Golf TDI indicates a problem. I pulled over shut the engine off then started the engine again. The flashing light did not come on again. I called the dealer service and the person said if it happens again take it in. I drove home , 70 miles and have not had a problem. Nothing seems different as far as how the car drives and all gauges are normal. Should I take it to the dealer or see if it happens again? The car has been driven 800 miles.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    If you are passing near the dealer have them scan for any error codes. If there are not any error codes and the car drives normally then just pay attention and see if it happens again.
  3. steveb

steveb New Member

Car:
    2009 Jetta TDI, Automatic Transmission
    Something similar happened to me last week. I have an '09 Jetta TDI with 19000 trouble free miles on it. However, when my glow plug light started flashing I lost considerable power (I was probably in "limp mode") so I drove to the dealership where they took me right in (my wife later told me the light came on when she was driving the week before but didn't flash and went off after six miles). The computer found fault for EGR system P0403. They were instructed by VTA to replace the EGR valve. It's on back order so I haven't had it installed yet. The mechanic told me he cleaned my old valve and it seemed fine. I've been driving the car all week with no problems, except one day when I had two episodes of very rough idling at stops, which went away. I know from reading other forums that the EGR assembly is giving other people problems, especially in the 2010s, although I can find only one other person who's car coded P0403 and his dealership told him it was a "sporadic problem" and did nothing to fix it (so I assume it resolved itself). This is the only problem I've ever had and I've never driven a better automobile. I'm wanting to take the Jetta on our Thanksgiving trip but I'm hesitant without the new valve. May do it anyway.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009