Fixing VW's mistakes:cam and clutch for a road trip machine

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by barbarian2436, Jun 30, 2012.

1. barbarian2436

barbarian2436 New Member

Car:
    2005 Jetta gls
    Hi, I have a 2005 Jetta gls that I am about tear apart so I can bring this thing up to tip top shape. I will be doing the full timing belt and fuel filter install as well as oil and filter change. I have discovered that these PD cars are plagued with cam problems as well. I don't want to take any chances so I will be doing a new cam install as well. Ouch! I am hoping I can make this thing into a road trip machine. Having said this, I am still trying to decide between the Stage I/II colt cam. Mileage and reliability are #1 but I would like some more power if mpg wasn't effected too much. Any personal experience with the cams and mpg? Another person on this thread has brought to my attention that since my clutch pedal has some vibration in it I might be experiencing the early stages of DMF failure. Ouch again! I will be doing a new install there as well. I am certainly not going with the same stock problematic DMF, however the clutch does still seem to feel good so would you recommend i stick with DMF but just get a better after market one and use my existing clutch? Or would it be better for me to go with a SMF and Sprung clutch. The stage I/II cam will most likely be the only performance part aside from some flash stuff later on. I might open up the exhaust for some turbo sound. As I have said this is really just going to be a road trip machine so I would like to know if I should: 1. use stage I or stage II cam. 2. Stick with aftermarket DMF and use existing clutch. 3. Aftermarket DMF and Clutch. 4. Older OEM SMF clutches.(what year clutch and what year SMF) 5. Aftermarket SMF clutches. Whatever is best for these mods and longevity as a daily driver/road trip machine. Thanks guys and sorry for the long winded question.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    clutch job is separate so I would drive for a while and see how it feels. If you change I would definitely go with a SMF. Doesn't matter what year, just vr6 clutch kit. The g60 flywheel is standard for this, uses same 4 cyl bolt pattern.