First TDI

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by VW_norm, May 16, 2012.

1. VW_norm

VW_norm Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2007 Touareg VR6
    Purchase 2012 Passat SEL TDI from SF VW in April, 700 below msrp, Platinum gray with moonrock interior, mat and FA kit. Shipped it across the pond to Big Island and took delivery last Wednesday. Altogether, this took 25 days from purchase date to first drive. One week later and have managed 300 miles (had 24 on it on arrival) and still have a half tank of fuel, and I wasn't even going that easy on it, but trying to abide to the break-in rules. Still saved a grand over local pricing. Bought it sight unseen, but drove the Passat and Jetta SW in Honolulu while on a trip, so my mind was made up but local dealers anything but dealers! According to part tag time stamps in car, looks like it was made in Feb-Mar 2012 time frame.
    While waiting for car to arrive, perused this forum and many others for information. First purchase was a Ross-Tech USB-CAN. What a fun tool this is. And dangerous too!
    Activated rain sensing wipers, turned off DRL (just can't stand them), managed to get the sunroof to open/close with the remote (but not the windows), tried and tried to get the right mirror to dip when in reverse, and it never seemed to work right. Then voila - it was working. So not complaining. Installed trunk cargo net. Bumped the lane change to 4 instead of 3 - just works better for driving here. Just received the OEM wheel locks for the 18's today. $40 on Ebay vs $100 dealer and free shipping to boot! Ordered highline RVC to install upon arrival. Will document that install and post. Going to do the VIM hack tomorrow. I think it's cool the way the side lamps come on when you make a turn and then d i m off slowly. Once I get the windows tinted next week, I'll post some pics. Think this is enough for the first week.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Do you live on the big island? Is it common to take a ferry or do most people drive onto the ferry?

I just read an interesting article in Smithsonian about a Hawaiian writer feeling like an outside on his own state because many Hawaiians have been to the mainland before the other islands.

welcometomyturbodies
  3. VW_norm

VW_norm Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2007 Touareg VR6
    Yep - on the Big Island. No ferries in Hawaii. Last attempt was blocked by a vocal minority, which was unfortunate. Otherwise, got a take a plane interisland. Or you can ship your vehicle on a barge, but that takes a week and expensive as compared to just renting. Been to all the islands, but this one is the biggest and best. I usually drive 9K miles a year, so the Passat TDI is a good economical daily driver, with plenty of power for our terrain - lots of hills, not to mention 2 mountains that go to 13,000+ feet above sea level.