First Oil Change Question...

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by New TDI, Aug 7, 2012.

1. New TDI

New TDI New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
    Maybe I'm old fashioned... The dealer and owner's manual tell me not to worry about changing the engine oil till 10,000 miles. For piece of mind, I'd like to change at 5,000, then 10K, then 20K etc. Is there any chance of harm of changing the oil at 5,000 miles the first time?
    login to remove this ad
  2. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    I can not imagine ANY harm is changing oil early.... well maybe to your back pocket. I'm sure the warranty people would wish more people would do it!!! Perhaps VW has something in mind to run the OCI to 10k miles????? I'm thinking of running mine to that interval and just before taking it in for the change to send off for an analysis just to see how it comes back.

Maybe we could compare notes if you would get a sample just before you get yours changed.....???
  3. skinnyb

skinnyb Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI DSG
    Mods:
    35% tint so far
    I would wait till 10k. The oil from the factory is designed to operate for 10k and helps break in the engine properly. Not sure it would cause any harm other than causing the break-in process to take a little longer. The 507.00 oil is great oil and is just designed to last a long time.
  4. Tonyb2004

Tonyb2004 New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    I've used Amsoil for 20 years now and have changed the oil in Gasoline engines every 10K miles..
    In my 2010 Jetta TDI I changed it every 20K miles..
    Synthetic oils are leaps and bounds better than the best Oil based products..IMO
  5. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    I don't care what brand of oil is used... oil is only as good as the filter. (Yes, I know SOME oil is better than others but I'm speaking of any good branded oil.) I also believe in using a GOOD sync oil. I use Shell Rotella T6 in my F-250 diesel. I wouldn't want to jeopardize my factory warranty by extending the OCI.
  6. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    Well I change mine every 5k, currently have 20k on it, dealer told me that its not bad but not really needed but my peace of mind is better, planning on owning the vehicle for as long as possible so why not take care of it now? Well it is costing me $$ but I don't care. Guess we will see when the vehicle has 150k miles LOL
  7. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    I wouldn't run ANY oil for 20,000 miles without having it tested by a reputable company for analysis. I change my F250 every 5k too....and it takes 15 quarts!!!!
  8. wildrice

wildrice New Member

Car:
    passat/2005
    Keep one things in mind about the filter/ break in. I would not worry about the oil in 5k or maybe even 10k, but unless VW has a really good run in procedure with run the engine 30 min and dump the oil, you will have assembly lube, and break in fines (metal) running around for 10k. All new bearings, journals and engine components shed metal fines in the first 500 miles (forget about the quality of the oil. It has nothing to do with this).

I will dump my first oil at 2.5k and let the dealer change it for free at 10k (another 7.5k later). I am not worried about the oil properties as much as I am about assembly/break in materials. By the way, if you ever bought new cams, they don't come polished but are hard faced and rather dull looking; they become polished after a short run in.

I have built some pretty high performing motorcycle and car engines where we were 100% certain all machine lube and fines were removed for all engine components. Assembled with lube and fire up the engine for 30 min. Dump the oil and see the silver dust in the oil.
    Just my 0.02.
  9. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    I'd have to go find the post, but VW has a fairly long factory run-in process, and they change the oil at the end -- the vast majority of the fines are removed in that oil change.

When you get your car, the oil is not a "break in" oil, it's normal VW 507 spec synthetic oil, good for 10,000 miles or probably a lot more.
  10. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Precisely... 10,000 miles is fairly conservative for a modern engine running a modern oil... for the new breed of engines (common-rail), just make sure you're using a low-ash oil... for warranty purposes, be sure it conforms to VW spec 507.00

Yuri

PS: concerning changing the oil early: some people who have done testing say that there's increased engine wear with more frequent oil changes, as the additive package is meant for gradual release...
  11. ride0169

ride0169 New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2006 tdi Diesel DSG Tranny
  12. ride0169

ride0169 New Member

Car:
    I have read that to, that it is better (less wear) on engine to go 10K miles instead of 5k miles. So if you are changing oil at 5K your engine will wear out sooner than changing at 10K. I do 10K myself.
  13. TonyChaudhry

TonyChaudhry New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2011
    I've got 85k on my 2011 jetta and I changed it every 5k miles. If you're planning on keeping this car a long time, why wouldn't you do it every 5k miles? Engines are a pain to rebuild and are never as good as they were straight from the factory.
  14. ggbaas

ggbaas Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREMIUM
    Mods:
    None
    You are assuming that changing the oil every 5K makes a significant difference to the engine life compared to changing the oil every 10K, as recommend by WV.
  15. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    The other question is: why did we think it was a good idea to change engine oil more frequently?

The main reason:

Before synthetic oils, what we bought was a soup of complex molecules, some were "heavy" and some were "light" -- light molecules tend to evaporate sooner, heavy tends to stay around longer, and all of these molecules tended to change chemically over time. Viscosity would change over time, and especially with high temperatures.

Synthetic oils don't do that.

What we have in our cars now is far different than the old "natural" straight 30 weight that we all grew up with. It's probably just fine for at least 20,000 miles.

The only way to know for sure is to draw samples and send them for analysis.

Personally, I'd rather change the oil every 10,000 than use my car as a guinea pig and wait for the oil to break down at 18,000 or whenever it actually fails.
  16. ride0169

ride0169 New Member

Car:
    There is info out there that I have read that explains why to go to 10K and not 5K to make your engine last longer, but I can't remember where I found it. If it was better to change at 5K I would but I go to 10K for longer engine life, like it explained in that article, I'm sure you'll find it.
  17. TonyChaudhry

TonyChaudhry New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2011
    I've worked on cars for 20 years and I spoke to my friends that work on rebuilding motors at a machine shop. I talked to a few VW repair specialty places and they all said that 10k was a little too long to not change the oil. I've also seen a lot of people I know that have tried to go 7.5k miles or more, come back complaining that their car now is consuming too much oil in between oil changes. Whereas I have never run across that problem. Yes, your engine won't blow up if you do 10k oil changes but it does effect the condition of the engine. These engine are built a computerized robot. Are oil changes that hard to do?? Get an electric car and stop whining. I have my 12 year old son do my oil change on my jetta by himself and you grown men are trying to do fewer oil changes because somebody told you it was okay.
    Frank B. Draper likes this.
  18. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    ... and you're trying to tell us that 10k is too far.

Do we listen to the manufacturer, or to someone in a forum?

I respect your opinion. Have a little respect for the rest of us instead of comparing us to 12 year olds. We don't all have free labor to do our oil changes.

When I was 16, I changed my oil every 1000 miles -- and engine oil came out of the ground.
  19. TonyChaudhry

TonyChaudhry New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2011
    Why am I wasting my time talking to someone who's never rebuilt a motor themselves. I've rebuilt more than 50 in my time and none of them were cars that I drove. They were engines from people that didn't think oil changes were that important. You don't even understand that the oil is only half the equation. Particles like sand and other contaminants that are too small to be picked up by the filters are a big problem. The filters would need to get a lot bigger and better before I'd get on board the 10k interval. Why would the manufacturer care if your car engine is eating oil after it goes out of warranty? The new TDI's have DPF and it would get more clogged due to wear that occurs on the rings. So sorry I don't want to step over dollars to pick up pennies.
    Frank B. Draper likes this.
  20. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    You do not know my background.

As I said earlier, I respect your opinion, even if I disagree with it. I don't respect ad-hominem attacks.