1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Find an article about resurfacing Jetts heads

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by julies, Feb 23, 2012.

1. julies

julies New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI/2005.5
    Hello-
    I think I am at the end of a very long (June 15th to now) nightmare of repair ineptitude. I need to find it in writing that you can't resurface 2005.5 Jetta TDI heads. Any ideas where to look? I am getting a new head put in and want some backup when I go get the first shop to pay for their mistake. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks - Julie:panic:
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I seem to recall a note in the service manual that says that you can't resurface the head but of course you can if it's done right. It's aluminum and it can be repaired. It might not always be cost effective to repair.

Care to share what the problem is? Symptoms? Repair list?

Have the new shop document the problems.
  3. julies

julies New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI/2005.5
    Well, it dates back to June when my shop figured out the water pump and timing belt that were replaced in October were defective or not replaced which caused the head gasket to blow an inch rip. The shop sent it to be resurfaced and then couldn't get it to work right after. They had the car till November and gave it back to me not working saying they couldn't figure it out. I towed it to another shop who after several hours and reconnecting wires and the glow plug properly got it to kinda work. It had less than half normal power and was very impaired doing any climbing, we are talking slowing of overpasses. I found a shop willing to take on my car and he found more things wrong ( hoses and wires not properly hooked up) and a head that couldn't be repaired so he is now installing the new head and we pray that is the final step to a functioning car. Now I am trying to get ahold of the first shop so they can pay for this bill and the rental cars. It has not been a fun process and I hope the saga ends this week. I will write up the first shop with BAR once everything is paid for. More than you wanted to know I am sure. Thanks