Failed to start

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by tacman, Jan 15, 2012.

?

Cold weather problems?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. I use an additive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tacman

tacman New Member

Car:
    Passat 2012 tdi se
    My 2 week old Passat TDI wouldn't start this morning. The road service guy was pretty sure it was due to the cold snap we had here last night in the Berkshirs... it was down below zero over night.
    So, I'll be towed into the dealer tomorrow morning!

I've really been enjoying the car but I must say, the Honda cr-v I just turned in never failed me in 3 years.

Looks like I may have to add some cold weather additive to prevent gelling... let's see what the dealer has to say.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

It maybe a silly question but are you letting the glow plug light go out before you crank it?
  3. tacman

tacman New Member

Car:
    Passat 2012 tdi se
    Thanks

Not a silly question at all... i could easily see this happening, especially as I'm new to diesel engines.
    In this case, however, I did allow the glow plug light to go off. The engine started on the first try this morning, then stalled after several seconds. It wouldn't start on further attempts, though.
  4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well the reason I ask was because I read a thread last week in another TDI forum where a guy in Canada was having trouble starting in this freezing weather and we asked do you let the glow plug ligh go out before you try and start it.

Glow plug light whats that? The dealer never told me about that.
  5. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Subscribed.
    Hopefully just a case of gelling. Anti-gel additive is a must in cold climates... small cost is worth it, over the hassle of gelling. Many of us carry an extra fuel filter in the trunk and the couple tools necessary to change in a pinch.
  6. ranjr13

ranjr13 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI SEL Platinum Gray/Moonrock
    Block Heater

Canadian vehicles come standard with the engine block heater. I mandated one to be on mine ordered here in CT for very cold mornings - may not need it all the time, but easier on engine when starting. That plus anti-gel additive should negate any problems in starting a diesel engine in the cold.
  7. ancnfamily

ancnfamily New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat Tdi comfortline
    It was like -16C the other day and had no issues starting. Car was not plugged in nor I use any additives. Diesel should have anti gelling additives in it during winter.
  8. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Yes, but it's what's in the storage tanks that warrant anti-gel additives. After buying the 2006 Jetta I made the mistake of mirroring your stance. I only refuel at trusted stations, which only limits exposure to such incidents. My belief is the problem was in my tank. Despite the fact that I run the tank near empty 90% of the time, there may be condensation buildup during the warmer months -- and my gelling incident occurred during the car's second winter's first below 0°F morning.
  9. darrelld

darrelld Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2013 Ford C-Max SEL Hybrid
    Mods:
    ScanGaugeII, BlackVue Dashcam, V1 Radar Detector H
    I have Kessy and noticed that when the temps drop into the 20's the system will take longer to engage the starter. Kessy waits until the glow plug light goes out and a second or two beyond before attempting to start. This can take up to 5 secs after I press the start button.