1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Factory Timing on 06 BRM

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI' started by tdiforester, Nov 26, 2010.

1. tdiforester

tdiforester New Member

I am close to removing the original timing belt on my 06 TDI and noticed the timing notch is about a 1/4 inch from the proper timing mark. Is this normal stretching of the belt or perhaps improper adjustment from the VW factory? The engine has 107K and has never been into, ever since I purchased the car new. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers. Morris
    login to remove this ad
  2. tdiforester

tdiforester New Member

I am close to removing the original timing belt on my 06 TDI and noticed the timing notch is about a 1/4 inch from the proper timing mark. Is this normal stretching of the belt or perhaps improper adjustment from the VW factory? The engine ran great, has 107K and has never been into since I purchased the car new. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers. Morris
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    These videos are for the ALH engine. Please refer to the videos for the PD engines.

The notch should only be looked at when the engine is at TDC and on a cold engine. The various parts and temperature will move it slightly. I can't tell you how far is OK since I don't want to mislead you. Your suggestions are possible.

If the engine has 107k change the TB ASAP, seriously. If it fails it will cause severe engine damage , mostly to the head. The more you drive the greater the possibility of a failure.

also, posts moved.
  4. tdiforester

tdiforester New Member

Thanks. I have everything locked down and plan on finishing the change of the belt tomorrow. Just was surprised to see the timing mark off that much on the original belt. Thanks for the response and I really appreciate the great directions provided on the site. Thanks for moving the first post, I thought it may be in the wrong area.