Exhaust valve flap extended warranty, code P047f exhaust pressure control recall

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by chittychittybangbang, Apr 1, 2013.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    VW has finally admitted their exhaust valve was a horrible design and have issued a TSB (VWP-13-05) and extended warranty for the part to 10 years or 120,000 miles on 2009-2012 Jetta, Golf, JSW, Passat TDI. You should be getting a letter soon if you haven't already. If the car is throwing fault code P047f, it's probably sticking.

Obviously, does not cover chipped or tuned cars, accident, vehicle misuse or neglect.

As soon as I jacked up the new gen car years ago, I saw this was a bad design. The spring on the valve is exposed to the elements so it can rust in place. Quick and easy solution is spray the spring and whatnot with penetrating lube like PB Blaster. Then move it back and forth. Condensation can also collect in the exhaust and rust the pivot points.

Refer to TSB 2031583 for the repair procedure. I can see it just unbolts and 1 plug, don't have that TSB. After replacing, if not working, use VCDS tool's basic settings exhaust flap calibration to reset.

There is a newer design part which is hopefully better. The old part number is 1k0 253 691 d (1k0253691d), the new part number is 1k0 253 691 g (1k0253691g). I don't know the differences on the new part are since I haven't seen a car which has gotten the new part yet. The purpose of the valve is to generate exhaust backpressure to help the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system work.

Here's a pic of it, more in the DPF FAQ: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

[​IMG]
    login to remove this ad
  2. StreetParked

StreetParked New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Could this flap issue cause a no start / hard start condition on a 2011 Golf TDI? I've been struggling with a issue where a warm car will not easily start, won't show a glow plug light, shows an ECP error and a yellow engine icon.

Thanks
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    If the exhaust is plugged, then yes I'd think it would contribute. I never took one apart to see how far it closes though. Not all the way I think so it shouldn't cause no start. 1st step, check error codes, your car is trying to tell you something.
  4. StreetParked

StreetParked New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Thanks for the response. Two follow up questions:

What's the best way to check the actual codes?
    How do I find dealers with good TDI techs?

Many thanks
  5. StreetParked

StreetParked New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Ok - just heard back from the dealer. They need to replace the ECM. The part is not in stock and will take awhile to get. The car is under CPO warranty, so I'm in the loaner until then. I didn't get much detail other than it took awhile to diagnose and recreate the issue.

I'll keep you posted.
  6. StreetParked

StreetParked New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    I got my Golf back today. They replaced the ECM and the "damper" which I'm assuming is the exhaust valve flap. Covered under warranty. So far, so good.