Exhaust question

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by DIESEL-MK4, May 27, 2012.

1. DIESEL-MK4

DIESEL-MK4 Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2001
    Mods:
    exhaust-ectomy, stage 1 ecu tune, beefier suspension
    So, I've heard a lot about exhaustectomies and stuff, but I was wondering what a Flowmaster would sound like on my MK4 tdi? Any ideas? The guy at the local muffler shop keeps telling me not to put it on because the engine needs the back pressure, and to leave it alone.. Is this correct? I want a good sound, but I don't want to sacrifice power.. thanks for any input.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    He could not be more wrong. No engine "needs" backpressure. All exhaust systems are tuned at the factory and some backpressure is a byproduct of various factors. However, with turbos, you want 0 backpressure after the turbo since there's no tuning effect downstream. Some turbos can puff a little smoke from the seals if there's not enough backpressure but the TDI ones arent known for it. In any case, the cat converter will provide plenty of backpressure.

So basically, ignore the local guy. Also, the cat will muffle much of the sound anyways. You can search youtube for vids of turbo-back staight pipe exhausts which delete the cat but personally I wouldn't recommend it because you're no longer in compliance w/emissions and the amount of soot will go up a lot. When stopped you'll smell exhasust. It does sound nice and it greatly improves performance but IMHO, I don't want to breathe exhaust.
  3. DIESEL-MK4

DIESEL-MK4 Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2001
    Mods:
    exhaust-ectomy, stage 1 ecu tune, beefier suspension
    thanks a ton! that is what I was hoping to hear.