ESC malfunction Resolved

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by jeffhodge69, Dec 19, 2017.

1. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Green Diesel Engineering Tune, Diesel Geek Short Throw Shifter
    Hey guys. 06 Pumpe Duse, 5 speed manual, 200k miles. Replaced cam, lift pump, timing belt water pump, entire suspension front and rear minus new K-members. Problem is that car rides and runs smoothly, lots of power, but on maiden voyage ESC kept trying to actuate. It would ABS one of the tires a bit and bring the ESC light on of course. Suspension was new struts, bearings, bushings all around, ball joints, tie rod ends, drag links, rotors and pads on the front. Rear was new rotors and pads, bearings, and shocks. Had to replace slave cylinder and hydraulic line due to small leak. Bled all four corners and clutch with Motive that seemed to work fine as usual. Any ideas on what I did wrong? Thanks in advance for all your help. (gonna throw VAG com on and see what she gives me too)

2. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ESP-F.lbl
    Part No: 1C0 907 379 M
    Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0102
    Coding: 0019458
    Shop #: WSC 00000 785 00200
    VCID: 3469E19A54B63CE645-50E6

2 Faults Found:
    01164 - ESP Operation
    008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
    003 - Mechanical Failure

These are fault codes I found

3. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    Mods:
  4. luxuryrules

luxuryrules Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI
    If that doesn't do it, there's a procedure to recalibrate the steering angle sensor using a VagCom. That's worth a shot if you have a VagCom available. Otherwise you may have a faulty Steering Angle Sensor.

5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 01164

Fault Location:
    Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) Operation - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Fuse(s).
    Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) Sensor Unit (G419) faulty.
    Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) Sensor Unit (G419) faulty.
    Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Steering Angle Sensor (G85) faulty.
    Steering Angle Sensor (G85) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuse(s).
    Check/Replace Wiring/Connector(s)/or Connector(s) from/to Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) Sensor Unit (G419).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Check/Replace Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) Sensor Unit (G419).
    Check/Replace Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Steering Angle Sensor (G85).
    Check/Replace Steering Angle Sensor (G85).

Special Notes:
    This Fault Code is being stored after about 5 Seconds of continues Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) activity.

VAG Error Code: 00778

Fault Location:
    Steering Angle Sensor (G85) - Mechanical Failure

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Basic Settings lost.
    Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Installation Position incorrect.
    Suspension Geometry incorrect.

Possible Solutions:
    Perform Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Basic Settings.
    See Vehicle specific Diagnostic Procedures for Details.
    Check Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Installation Position.
    Check Suspension Geometry.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

6. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Thanks for input guys. I think you're right. the vehicle drives straight as an arrow but steering wheel is off by almost 90 degrees. Getting 2 new tires and an alignment Friday. I think steering wheel needs re-centered. I will keep updating thread as I learn more.

7. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    OK. 2 new tires and alignment later still have ESP light lit and 00778 mechanical failure(num 3). When I first took car for shake down drive there was no ESP light lit. After driving a few hundred feet ESP tried to ABS 1 of the wheels I think because the steering wheel was way off. So I don't believe the clock spring is broken, do you? If clock spring was broken I would think light would've been lit from start up(?) In the notes of 00778, #3 it says that after 5 seconds of continuous ESP action light will stay lit. During shake down run ESP light was intermittent, only lit when ESP was trying to compensate for steering wheel being off, but I believe there was a period when ESP actuated ABS for about 7 seconds and it was after that 7 seconds that the ESP light stayed lit and would not come off. I did replace an ABS sensor on R rear wheel but if that was prob I should be getting ABS light, correct? So if it's this "5 second rule" how do I get light to come back off now that steering and suspension have been aligned? The shop walked me through everything they did on alignment and it all matches the RossTech instructions for re-centering the steering wheel. Thanks guys!

8. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Hey Guys. Santa did come last night. After I drove the VW home from the alignment shop, with the ESP light on the whole way home, I pulled the wife's Subaru onto the rack to change the oil then I cleaned out the pellet boiler in anticipation of the cold snap coming. Figured I'd get on the VW after Christmas so I left it parked in the barn last 2 days. Went to move it this morning and the ESP light was gone, no codes.....Thanks Santa! I figured the ESP computer just needed some driving time to get happy and the drive home from the shop was enough. Thanks again for all your help!