1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Engine Oil & Smoke...Out the Tailpipe! Turbo Seal?

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by estergard, Feb 3, 2012.

1. estergard

estergard New Member

Car:
    1999 New Beetle TDI
    I have a 1999 New Beetle TDI. I bought it from an Insurance Auto Auction with a bad engine block. After a fresh rebuilt engine, IP, and MAF...I drove it today for the first time. It was running poorly with perfect timing, correct fuel IQ, MAF values, And good boost pressure. It has a straight exhaust...no cat, no muffler. There seemed to be an extra "Howl" in the exhaust. It farted out, and started crawling at 15 mph. I put on the EMERGENCY flashers, and drove another mile to a Fuel Station...smoking like CRAZY! I checked the oil. It was down 2 quarts. It starts right up, and idles. I had less than 1 hour on the engine with 2 oil changes, so the puddle of oil, running out the tailpipe was clean oil. The EGR valve was wet with oil. What am I going to have to do now, after replacing the turbo, to get all the oil out of the charged air system?:eek
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    You're not having much luck with that thing, you'll need to see if the oil is going through the cylinders or just out the exhaust. If through the cylinders then the intercooler will need a clean out and the pipes can just be left to drain.
    Another option is petrol and matches and an insurance claim :D
  3. estergard

estergard New Member

Car:
    1999 New Beetle TDI
    I hate the word, "Luck", but you're absolutely right! This car had a lot of bad parts. I was hoping nobody would realize, I'm the same Dumbass who has posted issues with some of the most costly problems, consecutively, one-after-the-other! Ouch...my pride! I left it parked. When I get it home, I'll start by removing the Turbo & Intake. I assume the oil was forced through the intake, cylinders, and out the exhaust. Are you suggesting it may have gone through the exhaust ONLY?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
  4. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Yeh, it happens that way too although through the intake is the more common from what I've read. Could be both though, you'll just have to dig in and find out, either way you'll need a turbo. If the boost pipes aren't full of oil though I'd be suprised if it was all going that way instead of out the tail pipe. Anyway time will tell I suppose.
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yep, if leaking on intake side, that much may cause a runaway, see FAQ for more on this problem. If leaking exhaust side it'll burn up and you get smoke
  6. estergard

estergard New Member

Car:
    1999 New Beetle TDI
    After thinking about the circumstance, I came to realize how little I understand boost. Is the air PUSHED through the intercooler...and PULLED through the exhaust, at the same time? Is it PUSHED through the intercooler ONLY...or PULLED through the exhaust ONLY? I can't seem to grasp how it could push two different directions at the same time. I was no where near "Runaway". I was in "Crawlaway". I pumped a couple quarts of oil out the tailpipe in about 6 minutes. Would the fact that I have no BACK PRESSURE, (no Cat or Muffler) cause the seal to FAIL? I don't want to blow out another Turbo.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
  7. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    As the exhaust gases pass the turbo they spin an impeller which in turn spins another impeller at the other end which compresses the intake air and pushes it into the engine. Turbos are basically compressers that are powered by the exhaust gas, super chargers are just the same but they're driven by a belt instead. The idea is still the same though, get more in so you can get more out. The fact you have no boxes and just a straight through will just make more noise, turbos just fail now and then.
  8. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/turbocharging.htm