Engine fan continues to run after car is shut off

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by newenegue, Jan 5, 2012.

1. newenegue

newenegue New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    Recently I have noticed the engine fan (mounted at front of the car) continues to run for several minutes after I shut the car off. The coolant temperature seems to run normally at the middle of the temperature gauge. The fan shuts off automatically after about 5 minutes. Is this normal?

Also, is it weird that our speedometer reads in 5mph increments until 80mph then switches to 10mph increments? :dunno
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Yes this appears to be normal I've heard my fan running 2 or 3 times after I've switched off but I don't know why that is.

They say its doing a DPF regen so it keeps the engine cool but if the engine is switched off it not producing heat so why does it need extra cooling?

I think the has been talked about before on here if you search.
  3. Conrad -JSW

Conrad -JSW Member

Car:
    2012 JSW TDI DSG Sunroof/Nav Silver/black
    If you shut your car off during the regen cycle the cycle is aborted. The fan runs a bit to cool off the system and it's perfectly normal. No worries.
  4. vdubdezl

vdubdezl Member

Car:
    01 Golf TDI, 11 JSW TDI
    He's right! :+1
  5. 2011GolfTDI

2011GolfTDI Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI DSG
    In the 15 months I've owned my TDI, I think the running fan at shutoff has happened 4 or 5 times.
  6. Conrad -JSW

Conrad -JSW Member

Car:
    I've had mine for just over two weeks and it's happened twice already, both times in my garage.
  7. TDI ATL

TDI ATL New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
    This happened to me once. I've had my 2012 Golf TDI for about 2 weeks. I was in my office parking lot so I turned the car back on and drove it to another parking space. When I turned the car off again, the fan shut off. I'm a little concerned about this because when this happened in my 2002 MINI Cooper the entire fan unit had to be replaced. Also caused the battery to die.
  8. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well with our 2008 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI BLS at work the fan runs all the time hot or cold. ;)
  9. Conrad -JSW

Conrad -JSW Member

Car:
    It's 100% normal, do not worry about it.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

I'm VERY surprised that Keithhuk, being a mod here, didn't know what this was.
  10. jimjay

jimjay New Member

Car:
    VW NB TDI AGR 98 5spd
    My fan will run in the summer when it is hot(>100 F air temp) and I have been in stop and go traffic, if I have been driving at speed then stop the car it rairly runs.
  11. Cogen Man

Cogen Man Member

Car:
    Golf TDI/2011
    Mods:
    Window tint, window vent visors, ScanGauge II.
  12. sps333

sps333 New Member

Car:
    Golf/2012
    Regen---thanks!

This answered my question about the hot smell in the garage and the supersonic fan speed. Thanks, everyone. I almost don't miss my MK IV Golf, but the 1.8T was a lot of fun.
  13. SFR709

SFR709 New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2006
    Would a 2006 jetta tdi pd have the same dpf system you spoke of? My fan is actually doing the same thing.
  14. d2305

d2305 New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta
    No, you may have a problem if they don't shut off.
  15. SFR709

SFR709 New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2006
    Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? It's only the larger primary engine cooling fan that keeps going for around 10 seconds after the engine is shut off, I havn't seen the the secondary turn at all, but I'm not sure if the engine is getting hot enough to engage it. Would a busted secondary fan cause an increase in current and cause the primary to keep running?
  16. 510808surfskate

510808surfskate New Member

Car:
    golf 2003
    stock.

i think the fan staying on is suposed to happen
  17. fastson

fastson New Member

Car:
    2013 1.6 TDI BMT
    I've got a question regarding the fans running during an interrupted regen. Do they stay on for several minutes and are they very loud?

My fans have been on during hot days (73F+, yes that is hot for me. :p) but only for about 20+30 seconds or so after turning the car off. The fans weren't really loud either.

So regen: About how many minutes(?) and very loud fan noise/high speed?

My car has only gone about 500 miles in total since I got it (10 days ago), and it has reached operating temperature (oil temp: ~212F) each time, it should have done some passive regeneration as I do some hard accelerations up to highway-speed and some overtaking, I doubt it has done any active regens yet (my understanding is it will do one whether the filter needs to be cleaned or not, it does them at certain set intervals).

I just want to know what the signs are for a active regen if I ever interrupt one.
  18. mrmmacd77

mrmmacd77 New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Jetta Premium
    I've answered some of your questions below... Hopefully if I'm wrong somebody will step up and help me to understand further.. but most of these come from reading a lot of forums on this exact topic.. and my own experiences..

Normal... 20 to 30 seconds for a semi warm day based on driving habits... No regen interrupt occurred.

Depending on if you interrupted the regen... fan speed 100% very loud.. stays on for quite some time ~5minutes or more depending on how hot the exhaust was prior to shutting down the motor.

Negative, IIRC, it reads the soot load from the sensors in your ECM... Having a heavier foot is actually better for your DPF then lugging the motor... Your EG temperatures are higher the harder you drive so you get more burn off the natural way. Your ECM will adjust accordingly and only force a regen when it is needed.

Fans will be on 100% regardless of road speed... The OB computer will slightly bump your boost lvls to compensate for the loss in power do to the regen occuring... if you pull into a parking spot and your fans are going full on... engine speed will be 900~950rpms at idle.. there's a very good chance you are in the middle of a regen.. May notice a bumpy idle at a redlight or stop sign... (usually only if it goes into a regen immediatley following a cold start... I've noticed this last one less and less the more miles I've put on the car... Regens were pretty aggressive for me in the beginning less than 2000 miles..

Above all drive more worry less... Interrupting a regen isn't the end of the world and most people will probably not even notice an active regen occuring anyways..
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
  19. fastson

fastson New Member

Car:
    2013 1.6 TDI BMT
    mrmmacd77: Thanks for the detailed response. :)

Drive more worry less, I try to live by that. :) Its just with a new car I want to have all the facts.
    I figured hard accelerations would help clear out the DPF so I try to do that each time I get/merge on the highway (the other occupants of the car don't always appreciate that though, but that's not my problem. ;) )
  20. mrmmacd77

mrmmacd77 New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Jetta Premium
    Yeah my gf thinks I wait until she starts her makeup to stomp on it... I swear I don't do it on purpose.... :laugh:

Glad some of that helped ease your mind... On average I've noticed mine regening around 500-800miles... or usually about once per tank...