1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

EGR disconnect pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI' started by Toms06TDI, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Toms06TDI

Toms06TDI New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    I have an 06 TDI with a leaking EGR cooler. I have it off and before I buy the replacement I thought I'd ask about the wisdom of just removing it and blocking off the ports.

Other than the consistent SES light what are the pros and cons of removing the ERG system?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Higher emissions, possible problems passing emissions check or inspection (don't know what they have in IL), increased EGT, more intake air since it's not being displaced with EGR gasses. I'd suggest a EGR delete flash to turn off the light. Can't fool it otherwise.
  3. Toms06TDI

Toms06TDI New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    Where I live we don't have an emmisons check for diesel cars so thats not a problem. I'm not familiar with the EGR delete flash. Is that done through the diagnostic software?

I have been told that a "Hot Tune" from GDE (Green Diesel Engineering)will solve the SES light as well as improve performance. Do you have any experience with this?
  4. RandyP63

RandyP63 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta pkg. 0 5spd.
    Mods:
    Franko6 cam. Rocket chips stage 1
    I deleted mine and did a Rocketchips stage 1+ tune. My mpg has stayed between 46-47. I can see a clutch in my future, I now drive it like I stole it. Really changes the personality of the car.
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    ECU delete flash has to rewrite the data so no vag com can't do that.
  6. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Same as a chip tune. A Tuner will write you a new tune with what ever performance changes you may want as well as an EGR delete, rev limiter rpm change etc. and the old tune is remove from the ECU and the re-written tune is flashed to the ECU with a chip loader.

The reason VCDS can't do it, is because VCDS doesn't write anything to the ECU. It just allows you to make different selection of things that are already written to the ECU.

If you are going to do a tune, learn as much as you can about how chip tunes work. Call up RocketChip, Malones, GDE etc.

After going to the GDE website, I would suspect what they offer, may not be suitable for our TDI's. But IDK.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  7. SrGreaser

SrGreaser New Member

Car:
    03 YDI Jetta, 02 F-350, 68 220D MBZ
    Mods:
    to many to mention
    alh EGR delete info please

I'm an old guy playing with my TDI trying to tweek some better mpgs, double the HP and pray for just maybe a double torque to the wheels. In my little bio I said I was from California, and I (think ) maybe it could be northern part, but there is no line that says north or south. SO with that said, I guess I don't know where the heck I am. :panic:

I'm about to delete my EGR cooler and install a PD150 intake, 17/22, 2.5" whitbread down and out, FMIC & IC pipes. I collected a nice stash of goodies getting ready to do the swap. Have a stage 2 tune, now thinking I need to get some hose barbs to connect the egr cooler hose together, does anyone know the CORRECT SIZE DOUBLE ENDED HOSE BARBs that works best? And any other related items needed that I haven't thought of yet? Or is there a "how to do egr delete" and list of bits required to do this job on here? I'm planning this complete swap and install all the toys at one time so the car isn't down waiting for parts. Any and all help would be forever greatful. And this old guy can get some kicks before I the END.

So you all don't get all full of questions and off the track, I have done all the upgrades to handle the extra hp already. Even some I didn't have to do.

Thanks Sr. Greaser