DVD Navigation System

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by Sporto55, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Sporto55

Sporto55 New Member

I'm a bit confused about the "DVD" RNS 510 Nav that comes available as a $1,750 option on the TDI Golf.

(Invoice price is $1,546, according to Consumer Reports).

Does it actually play DVD movies? I'm certainly not going to watch movies while I drive, but it might be a nice option to have when I'm waiting to pick up a friend at the train, or the power goes out in my house.

:)
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yes. However, it won't play them while you are moving. You have to buy a "video in motion" module if you want to watch movies while moving. Due to liability, it's an aftermarket part but it's plug-play.
  3. rookie

rookie New Member

4. mhuey

mhuey New Member

Car:
    Passat 2.0T/2006
    Hello, I am a brand new VW owner..just bought a used '06 Passat. I love the idea of the video in motion and have seen the videos on youtube....can anyone tell me the parts list, or any how-to instructions on how to make this work? I also read on a site about updating the firmware of my MFD2...can someone point me in the right direction to get the latest firmware version? I appreciate any and all help! Thanks!
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/vw-gps-software-update-flash-mfd2.htm

Your US spec MFD2 won't play DVD video, I believe you need the Euro spec.