dual mass flywheel troubleshooting??

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by spockmckoy, Feb 14, 2011.

1. spockmckoy

spockmckoy New Member

Car:
    Golf TDI/2002
    HI, I've had troubles developing recently starting out in 1st, + 2nd gear. There has been some vibration/shaking but 3,4,5 gears are fine. I took it to the dealer to see if the clutch was going and they said the clutch is fine, but the dual mass flywheel is shot. I was told the purpose of the dual mass is to absorb the hi torque from the tdi so the tranny does not. They did recommend if I get the work done there to change the clutch as well while they are in there. Which I thought made sense just as I changed the water pump when I had the timing belt changed. My question is this: IS there anyway I can confirm this flywheel is shot or what I am experiencing IS the way to tell me. Thanks! $2200 12mos/12k mile warranty. 1-1.5 days they'd need it. 95k miles on it. I'm guessing it is original, but I am not the 1st owner of this 2002 golf tdi. I changed the belt at 80k which was the mileage when I bought the car.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    They are wrong about the dual mass flywheel absorbing high torque. Its purpose is to improve noise, vibration, and harshness, especially at idle. Yes it can fail. If you do replace it, I suggest a single mass flywheel and new clutch. It will not stress the car but it will have a little more rattle at idle and you'll never have this problem again. Also, they're pretty cheap.
  3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  4. hevster1

hevster1 New Member

Car:
    98 New Beetle TDI
    Mods:
    Alligator tune, PP 357 nozzles, SS 2.5 inch exhaus
    Ditto on the single mass. A "g60/vr6 with a 18-22lb flywheel should work very well for you. I just replaced 2 cluthces with this exact setup. generally a dual mass is about 7-800 for parts. A single mass is about 1/2 that. I also recommend clutch fork replacement.