DSG Help! Only drained 3.8 liters

Discussion in 'Mk7 VW Golf, Sportwagen and Audi A3 TDI forums' started by Oldskoolmadskilz, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Oldskoolmadskilz

Oldskoolmadskilz New Member

Car:
    2013 Sportwagen
    Bought a used TDI and the service records only showed the 40K dsg service. Car has 99K on it. When I drained the oil, only 3.7 liters came out. IIRC, when I did my other sportwagen, I got about 4.6 liters. Is there any way possible that I didn't get a complete drain? So what to do? I know 3.7 is too little. Do I add 4.5? I don't have a vag com, so I can't do a bottom fill correctly.

TIA
    Rob

login to remove this ad
  2. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  3. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI
    you could just put in the 4.5 (plus or minus a hundred ml)

but if you want to use the snorkel to set the level, you really can do it without VCDS, if you have a $20-$30 IR laser thermometer. ( I would put closer to 5 l in prior to using the snorkel to set level. want to include enough extra to fill the snorkel and a bit to drain)

[​IMG]

the thin part by the drain tracks pretty close (within a degree C) to the internal fluid temperature I measured with VCDS.

you could fill, run through the gears, when the indicated part of the case reads 35c, open her up and let drain till the fluid spurts, and seal it up.

you would want to have the car level for the drain.

the previous service could have been shy, or there could be some kind of leak. (perhaps a loose filter cap, or leaky filter O ring.)