DSG flywheel compatibiity

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by NIW, Nov 30, 2012.

1. NIW

NIW New Member

Car:
    2001 Jetta TDI & 2006 TDI Jetta
    Mods:
    On 2001, 5 speed swap, interior up date custom pro
    Hello

I am working on a 2006 Jetta with a dead engine, swaping a used BRM in and have now found the stock DSG flywheel has 12mm - 15mm of movement. Having not been able to drive the car I do not know if the trouble signs of this flywheel where apparent when driving. Here's the question for discussion, my local VW dealers parts guy told me the CJAA DSG flywheel will work on the BRM. Really??? Any one have insight into this? If it is true the CJAA could prove to be a more durable choice for replacing.

Thanks for reading, your informed comments are very much appreciated.

Sincerely
    Ian

I just went out and purchased one. I will update later.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    03g105266be is the correct PN for the BRM. CJAA and CBEA all have diff PN.

Any 4 cylinder DSG flywheel will bolt on and it should work since it's also a diesel. However, it's possible there's some tiny tuning difference for the different engines but this is just a guess. It could just be some manufacturing difference, I have no clue.

3. NIW

NIW New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    DSG Flywheel for 140hp vs 100hp excessive play bench test

I"ve now had a chance to have a good look at both units side by side. Physically the CJAA 140hp unit is 1mm thicker than the BRM 100hp unit. Everything else measures the same. I have never worked on the DSG transmission or on the flywheels and I am having to use information from the TDI community. I have found that some times a little information from the posts I come accross is simply not accurate or up todate. With this in mind I am asking for more input on these Flywheels. I purchased a flywheel off a 2010 CJAA TDI with 23000km on it. I had spoken with the owner who said he had no issues with the car or with the shifting of the transmission before the car was written off in a T bone. I bought the unit for a great price from the autowrecker.

I have been using information that 0mm to 10mm is allowable play when twisting the flywheel on the bench. Can someone, in the know, please confirm what excessive play would be on these units when bench tested and what the proceedure is for this test.

It would be nice to know for sure what the limits are and what the proceedure is.

My first unit from the BRM measured hard twist one way to the other 12mm - 15mm
    The second unit from the CJAA had greater resistance during the twist but produced a 23mm movement. Keeping in mind the driver had reported no problems from his end.

This is the best information I can supply at this time if you need me to answer any other questions for you to respond please let me know.

Thanks

4. Poormanq45

Poormanq45 Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta BRM 2005 Jetta BEW
    When you measure, are you holding the flywheel hard and twisting it or lightly?

I just replaced the dmf and the old one had 15mm play when loosely held and spun. When held tightly and spun it was over 25mm.

The new one when spun lightly had under 5mm play. When held tightly it had 12mm play.

Basically, the springs creating resistance had worn out.

I've seen in varying places that 10mm is the loose limit.

5. NIW

NIW New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Breaking new ground with DSG Flywheels

Thanks for responding and bringing up one of the most important points I have come accross so far. What pressure/torque are we applying to this twist measurement? The flywheel is designed to cushion the torque and if you watch the 3D animation on You Tube you can see it has been designed to allow for a wave pattern. My interpretation of the mechanics in the animation is that there are two distinct measurements of movement to consider. First, is the movement between contact with the two spring components and, second, the compression/wear movement which is dependent on torque used.

I took both of my units to the dealership and asked them to run me through their procedures for this inspection. Very cooperative and friendly techs but they did not have a clear procedure for the test I asked for. They even searched their online tech system with no luck with the time we had.

The outcome of the inspection was the older BRM unit had less movement under torque but was quicker to move side to side and was clearly looser in its movement. The Tech said he thought this one would be making noise on installation.

The CJAA unit had the two distinct movements with the torque movement greater than the BRM unit, however, the movement was slower and snug and felt tighter. The conclusion we came to was the CJAA units have had better durability than the BRM's and if the Tech had to install one of the two,
    ( that I brought to him) he would go with the 140hp CJAA unit with the 23000km on it.

Important note here, he did not say the 140HP unit would fit. I will be bolting the unit to my BRM today, watching to see if the 1mm in thickness comes into play.

In conclusion, as of today we still don't have VW spec's for the bench test. I would like to say I do not believe the 0mm to 10mm movement allowance is correct. If you had 0mm of movement your flywheel would not be working as designed.

If the bigger 140hp Flywheel works, then BRM owners have the option of going to a more expensive unit, one that is over engineered for their engine and one that should give them extended carefree DSG joy.

If we can come up with the acceptable bench test movement specs then BRM owners can hit the wrecking yards with a quick way of testing that 140hp flywheel.

6. cnieto2

cnieto2 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI ALH 5 Speed, 2006 Jetta TDI BRM DSG, 2001 New Beetle 1.8 T Auto
    The real test is going to be you driving the car. Please keep us informed.

I would like to see what Mr. Ol' Rattler thinks of this posibility.

I wish I could find VW parts at junk yards here in Texas. There is nothing, VW cars don't exist there, much less single parts like a DSG flywheel.

7. NIW

NIW New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Test Drive with 140hp flywheel

As of today only a short drive with the transmission getting into 5th and back down. Not a problem or any noise, smooth shifting both up and down. I will have the car inspected this week by the local VW dealership as I imported the dead car from out of province/state. At that time I will ask the techs to comment on the transmission/flywheel performance as I have not driven the DSG , at that time if thumbs up from the techs, then we will know that a 140hp CJAA flywheel will work and hopefully offer far greater reliabilty for the BRM DSG owners.

8. cnieto2

cnieto2 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI ALH 5 Speed, 2006 Jetta TDI BRM DSG, 2001 New Beetle 1.8 T Auto
    Good deal. Again, keep us informed. Thanks. :thumbsup

IDParts sells the one for the BRM the same as for the 140hp CJAA if I am reading correctly on their website. So it should work fine.

I need to change this part too. The place I found is Darkside. The cost is the same for both parts too.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....eel-for-2-0-16v-tdi-common-rail-dsg-auto.html

9. NIW

NIW New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Flywheel working great!

Had the car inspected today and asked the tech to pay close attention to the operation of the transmission. Reported back there was no issues and the shifting was right on the mark. So from my experience, as a BRM owner you can upgrade to the 140 flywheel with no problem. We still don't have any bench test parameters for movement of the flywheels however I am sure someone will step up and help with this important measurement. As I stated earlier, the 0mm to 10mm movement rule is not something I would base a expensive repair on.

Thanks for coming alone for the ride on this one.

10. JEtDI1382

JEtDI1382 New Member

Car:
    2006 JETTA TDI
    Mods:
    K&N replacement
    That's good to hear. As I believe my DMF is starting to go bad. Going to have a friend see what he can get me one priced at.

11. Elguano

Elguano New Member

Car:
    2x Mk5 TDI, 1x Mk4 Tdi, 1x 2007 Cadillac Escalade (Gas pig)
    So in final, is the CJAA flywheel worked on the BRM? I know in the wiki it says it does, i just want to make sure before spending 600$ on a flywheel.