Drivers Seat Repair Question(s)

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by eddi887, Jul 13, 2017.

1. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Hi All,

Anyone have experience with removing the bottom cover off the driver's seat? I have the cloth interior and the outer part of the seat, where you sit getting in and out of the car, has flattened to the point of feeling the steel frame underneath. I want to pull the cover and repair the area before it tears a hole in the material. Can I do this without pulling the seat out of the car, and what is the process?

Thanks...Jeff

2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    1st.. goto junk yard get pass seat to get foam and stuff from.. get a seat that looks new.. its well worth the effort.. if matching material.. id use the new too.. how ive done it for over 20 years

take it apart..

the seat back has a air bag in it.. so do not et it off.. buy buying one blown is great as has no value

now remove drivers seat and pull material and install new foam..

now the seat back removes pretty easy from the base... the question i cannot answer is this.. can you just swap the seat base in full?? the adjustment handle may be on the wrong side.. but does it have the seat belt mount on both sides?? but honestly.. the material and foam come off easy..

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  3. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    crsmp5,

Sounds like a good plan. I'll have to check the yards around here and see if I can locate a passenger seat. I did see on another site that the base, on a Golf, was the same for either side, but I don't know if that holds true for the Jetta; I guess I'll find out!

Are the seats the same through 2006?

Thanks again...Jeff

4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    afaik they do... the gli recaros will fit.. the sport seats with bolsters will.. no idea what they came outta.. put them in a golf 4 door for a guy.. the only interior item thats a pain is rear door panels... as golf is different then jetta and wagon is also differnt... so 3 of them

you also cannot ship front seats... the air bag built in has a explosive and shipping costs are stupid due to it.. also requires certified person who can ship air bags to package them... i know a guy who owns a junk yard who refuses to pay for that certification as its crazy money... so even more of a reason for a jy to sell them for fair price as its a pick up type of item... so not going to sell on line..

one last thing.. do not damage the seat belt part of seat.. its got a explosive too and is crazy in price due to it..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Thank you, I appreciate the information, and will hopefully find one locally...

6. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Seat belt thing is in the door pillar, it's just a catch on the seat.

Anyway to get the seat apart there's just a plastic trim around the edge of the cloth clipped onto the metal frame around the underneath. Just got to pull that out. Once you get that lifted you'll find these wire rods holding the cover to the foam, find the ends and you'll see how it comes apart.

7. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Seatman,

Thanks for the details. I'll be popping the seat out next weekend, and the information will be helpful.

Jeff

8. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    no idea seatman... what i do know is when the dealer sends the wrong color one.. returning it turns into a major issue due to it supposedly having a explosive in it.. which i do not get why they would.. but the dealers excuse