door lock not working

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by artbasement, Jan 22, 2012.

1. artbasement

artbasement New Member

Car:
    2010 tdi sportwagen
    I bought the '10 jetta TDi wagon I was eyeing in December and have it home and am very happy with it.
    The only issue I noticed is the rear passenger door lock never locks. The door lock switch on that door communicates to the other locks in the car, but I can't feel any action in the door at the latch itself. The other pass door clearly clicks at the latch when I operate the switch. Also the orange child lock reminder does not show up in the affected door. It's almost as if there's no communication between the latch and the switch.

Any ideas before I start opening up the door panel? I assume there's just an electrical link between the switch and the latch? No rod or anything, right? Is there a fuse I could check first, or could it be a computer glitch?

Thanks -- Erwin
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Since you've only had it a month, also see if the place you bought it from will help out through goodwill. No rod, just wires.
  3. artbasement

artbasement New Member

Car:
    2010 tdi sportwagen
    far away

I bought the car in Atlanta and I live in Maryland :( It did give me a good excuse to try the Blueridge Parkway on the way home though...

Would it be worth it to DIY this? or just hand over money to the dealer? From my searches it sounds expensive. I can try looking for an indie VW shop in DC area, but I imagine 2010 is still new for them.

You helped me BTW just before the purchase and I did look into the fuel filter and all was good.

thanks -- Erwin
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    DIY. If you want to document this it would be helpful. I have articles on removing the front door skin but not rear on sportwagen. It could be a bad door module but before replacing it I'd do more troubleshooting, error codes and check for shorts.
  5. straightliner

straightliner New Member

Car:
    09 Jetta TDI
    Open the rear door and you will see the small rubber plug. Remove the plug and spray a WD-40 type lubricant in there while working the locks. Make sure to use the plastic straw when your spraying to make less of a mess. Leave the door open and wipe off the run off. The odor will disapate after a couple of days and make sure to replace the rubber plug.

Good Luck,
    Chris Rehtorik
  6. artbasement

artbasement New Member

Car:
    2010 tdi sportwagen
    Door wiring is the problem

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I started to research, including how to take the door skin off. Was not looking forward to that...

Today I looked at the wiring harness where the boot goes from door to body. Just pushing the rubber boot around a bit made the lock suddenly work...temporarily at least. I see now the front lock switches also light up when they are locked, and that it would be influenced by the rear door lock not working well. So I know it's not the actuator or latch, just a break or short in the wiring.

The scary part is now the lock might not unlock, and then what does one do??? You can't get to the actuator or harness without taking off the skin, and you can't get the skin off without opening the door. Catch 22. Better get the wire harness fixed pronto, I guess. Anyone know which wires would be the ones activating the lock? Does one buy a new harness, or can I splice in new wires?

Thanks -- Erwin