Do the two bushings on each front lower suspension arm last substantially longer than the ball joint

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by mikeote, May 15, 2017.

1. mikeote

mikeote New Member

Car:
    2003 Passat TDI-PD (UK right hand drive)
    Hey guys,

Thanks for looking at my thread. Do the two bushings on each front lower suspension arm last substantially longer than the ball joint at the end of each arm?

The reason I ask is that upgraded bushings are available for sale individually and the ball joint is not, my Haynes manual says the ball joint is none replaceable (as the metal moulding covers the back of the ball joint so it can't be pressed out). If the ball joint lasts the same amount of time as the bushings then there's no point in using the upgraded bushings as I'll have to replace the whole thing once the ball joint wears out.

If there's a VW tech who says it's only once in a blue moon that the ball joint on this arm needs replacing I'll go ahead with the upgraded bushings, if not I'll just go ahead with the full arm purchases (Mayle HD).

Cheers!
    Mike

2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    they all tend to need a ball joint or two.. they sell the arms for about $100 each or kits of all 8 for 300-400... buy all 8... better deal..

imo poly is not for a car that you drive on the street.. i purchased a car once that had them (po just installed them) .. about a year later the control arm snapped at said bushing putting me uncontrollably into oncoming traffic where i got lucky and we both came to a complete stop before headon collision.. ive got a car ive been building since 1993 with og control arms and bushings and owned many other mk1 vws this has never been a issue on.. same roads.. same weather.. poly being the only difference and fyi.. took the other side 9 more months to crack where it almost broke too (yup i was checking weekly).. so no not just a failed opps it happened to both sides on 1 car.. but never a issue on any others... i will never use poly bushings unless i want the owner to kill some unlucky person.. once both arms/bushings back to stock drove it problem free for 5 more years till retired and parts added to my parts stash...

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  3. mikeote

mikeote New Member

Car:
    2003 Passat TDI-PD (UK right hand drive)
    Thanks for the reply crsmp5, scary about your experience with the poly bushes! I'll make sure to avoid them. I've ordered the Meyle HD arms.

Cheers!
    Mike