1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

dipstick holder

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by BlueMoose, Apr 29, 2012.

1. BlueMoose

BlueMoose New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta
    The yellow plastic dipstick holder was broken on my 98 jetta. It seems without the engine cover it is an even more common problem than with the engine cover.

I have plenty of copper tubing around and no vw dealership around for a few hours. Anyone have the dimensions on the holder? Length from top of the dipstick hole on the engine to where the bottom of the dipstick handle should rest?

As it sits now as long as its an inch above the hash marks I have to assume the oil level is good.

Thank you.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    don't know measurements but new dipstick upper plastic parts are really cheap, can mail order it or cap it off to drive the car until it gets replaced.
  3. 96powerstroke

96powerstroke New Member

Car:
    1996 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel
    do you guys know where I can get a replacement dipstick from? The plastic around the tube is broken. I have searched the VW parts website (dealer parts) but I can not find it by browsing and I can not find it through a search for "dipstick". I was thinking maybe VW had a fancier name for the thing. They sometimes do that.... haha

Thanks. I know this is an old post but the search feature on this forum is pretty cool! :)
  4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    checked the parts catalog,

028103634 and 028103634b are the lower and upper dipstick tube respectively.
  5. 96powerstroke

96powerstroke New Member

Car:
    1996 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel
    Thanks!

Hey on a side note, where are you pulling these side numbers from? Is there an online catalog? For the sake of sounding stupid here keep in mind I'm still a newbie in these here Volkswagen areas... but i've been using the VW replacement parts website (parts.vw.com) They don't give part numbers and do have some listings of parts but the dipstick and dipstick tube don't come up. Even when I search the part number only the lower dipstick part comes up. I'm going to assume I'm not looking in the right place?

Thanks again,
  6. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I use etka, vw's parts catalog. You can find them on torrents, sorry but I cannot guide you further since it's copyrighted material. Don't know why since it would help the DIYers. The site vagcat used to have it online.