Difficult Decision... Golf and the Jetta SportWagen

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by kreizyidiot, Dec 4, 2009.

1. kreizyidiot

kreizyidiot New Member

I haven't test drove the Golf TDI yet since it's so high in demand and most dealers here in southern Cali are out of stock..however, there are a few Jetta SportWagen available... I decided to test drive one yesterday, and man, it was a pretty good car.... the suspension tends to drag a little.... and it feels like more of a sturdier car...yet, I'm going to be missing out on the loads of standard equipment that the Golf offers...

Any opinions....
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Even though they are based off the same design...I still think they feel very different cars. I haven't driven the wagon but I've seen plenty of pics so I can't comment on how it drives but I don't see why it would be too different.

This is just my preference but I prefer the 2 door Golf over the 4 door. The 2 door is less practical but I just like the look better. If you need the cargo space you can't beat the wagon. I also like the fact that the Golf gets the mk6 chassis upgrades, while the wagon only gets some mk6 cosmetic changes.
  3. buzybee

buzybee New Member

No xenons on the JSW= add $2000. That would be a dealbreaker for me. No foglights either. But then again, the Golf doesn't have leather, only cloth. Cloth should be more breatheable than the leatherette in the JSW though.
  4. fstjetta

fstjetta Member

IMHO, the wagons have always held their value better so there's that too.
  5. regulator

regulator New Member

Drove both and purchased a Golf. Liked the sport suspension on the Golf more. The first question I would ask is can you live with the smaller size of the Golf?
  6. Tomspassat

Tomspassat New Member

I'm surprised anybody is buying anything. I called and the dealer told me they don't have anything and don't expect any cars until next year! A regular bunch of know nothings.
  7. kreizyidiot

kreizyidiot New Member

Probably... I mean, I'm pretty short... only 5'4 lol....
  8. Liscia

Liscia New Member

Bilstein HD's should tighten up handling nicely when they become available for the 2010 JSW.
  9. tutstye

tutstye New Member

What does "the suspension drags a little" mean?
  10. CA_Paul

CA_Paul New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI, DSG
    It seems like a question of how much cargo space you need. I bought a Golf TDI a couple weeks ago, and it's fun as hell to drive. Maybe not quite a GTI, but the same general driving characteristics - tight & nimble - and 40 MPG. Plenty of room for 4 passengers, the main size difference is in the trunk area, which is quite a lot smaller.

In contrast I drove a SportWagen a few months ago because all the specs looked good, but it drives like a hippo on Qualudes. It drove about like my 1997 subaruy - everything about it was loose and sluggish.

So, if you need the cargo room, see if you can live with the handling. If you don't need a wagon, the golf is a lot more fun to drive.

Just my two cents...